1967 Ford 3500 With 735 Loader Hydraulic Filter Change Confusion

/ 1967 Ford 3500 With 735 Loader Hydraulic Filter Change Confusion #1  

firstfruitsfarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 555, Ford 3500 TLB, Ford 9N
I have a 1967 Ford 3500 with 735 Loader and 753 Backhoe. Plan today was to change hydraulic oil and filter; CNH got for me a 86546604 kit, which has a steel mesh, pleated paper canister and cork gasket with 2 diam. hole. They said this was what I needed for the reservoir in the left side 735 vertical support.

I loaded and moved some forestry debris and dug up a stump to get the oil nice and toasty warm, then drained it. Took the filter flange out. Wow--found a home-made screen over a textile tube and matching cork gasket with 3-inch inside diams., instead of the 2 inch in the kit. Length of the tube/screen is 9 inches and of the replacement filter 12.5 inches. The flange is clearly set up to accept a 3 inch I.D. screen or filter. The long bolt would only work with a 9 inch cartridge as well.

The photos show the situation. Old stuff on left, common stuff in the middle, new stuff on right. The 735 Operators Manual does not show a parts breakout, and the CNH parts diagrams do not show any detail either, telling you to see some mysterious Fig. 17 for breakdown that I cannot find. Messicks diagrams are just as cryptic. I do not think the New Holland parts guy will be any further help.

Surely someone (soundguy, RickB?) has done a hydraulic oil/filter change in a late 60s 735 loader. Can you clear up this situation with the correct kit? I do not want to re-use the jack-leg screen that has no filter paper. I need a good diagram to see if there are more OEM parts I will need as well to get it right.

Attachments

• 735_HydOil_Filter2.jpg
    735_HydOil_Filter2.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 2,452
  • 735_HydOil_Filter.jpg
    735_HydOil_Filter.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 2,360
   / 1967 Ford 3500 With 735 Loader Hydraulic Filter Change Confusion #2  
interesting.

can't say that i've ever had a 735 to mess with. will have to defer this one to rick, whodat or possibly even ultradog. he messes with theose new 65+ machines.. :)

/ 1967 Ford 3500 With 735 Loader Hydraulic Filter Change Confusion #3  
Page 17 of the 735 loader catalog clearly shows 2 filter choices. You need part # 290417. Mount gasket NOT included with this element. I always make my customers aware that there are two choices, and they can deal with the dilemma how they choose.

/ 1967 Ford 3500 With 735 Loader Hydraulic Filter Change Confusion
Thanks for the help. I called Messicks this a.m., and they said the same thing. I think I will still need to use the homemade screen over the top piece for when it is bypassing. I guess the spring, plate and cotter pin will constitute the relief valve. Thanks again.

/ 1967 Ford 3500 With 735 Loader Hydraulic Filter Change Confusion
Received the filter/gasket from Messicks. Some kind of nonwoven fibrous filter media. Looks like the "textile tube" that I removed, except that a previous owner had drilled holes through it and wrapped/clamped a screen around the old filter. I wonder if the PO did that to get more flow through the pump? Does this look right now? Does the skirt of the screen top cover need to be clamped around the filter?HydraulicFilter.jpg