spring loaded throttle?

/ spring loaded throttle? #1  

Old Virginia Joe

Bronze Member
Tractor
'63 Ford 4000, '48 Massey Harris 30
My "new" early-style Ford 4000 seems to have a spring loaded throttle lever, which keeps pulling back to idle, if I do not constantly hold it to the desired RPMs. I'm told that it is supposed to do that, but I find it aggravating and unreasonable to have to drive with only my left hand, while holding a throttle at the desired position for hours on end. Does anyone know if this is normal design, and WHAT on earth is the logic for this, and can it be easily disconnected? Thanks!

/ spring loaded throttle? #2  
whoever told you that was normal is a moron. please do not use them for a source of info.. unless you are doing research on BAD ADVICE.

there is a bellcrank and spring and friction assy on the center housing under the batery...

/ spring loaded throttle? #3  
Here's a visual to go along with Soundguys good advise. Just increase the tension on the "spider" by tightening the nut.

Throttle Linkage.jpg

You may find the fiber disk is worn or even missing.

/ spring loaded throttle?
Thanks to you both. Dollar Bill, can you say where you got that nice diagram? I'd like to find the accompanying parts list, so I can order whatever parts I find in there that are missing or broken. I do not have all my "books" for this new purchase yet.

/ spring loaded throttle? #5  
Joe, you can find all of the exploded parts drawings in the parts manual which is where the photo I posted came from. You can also find it online at Case New Holland

/ spring loaded throttle? #6  
If you have a foot throttle, that is spring loaded. The main throttle lever is not, as said.

/ spring loaded throttle? #7  
"My "new" early-style Ford 4000 seems to have a spring loaded throttle lever,"

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the hand throttle as he mentioned the word "lever" in his original post.......

/ spring loaded throttle?
I do notice that as I follow the throttle linkage from the hand lever to the end of all the links, at the front of the tractor, the whole thing is hooked to a spring, which is pulling it back, against me when I try to speed it up.

/ spring loaded throttle? #9  
Not supposed to pull back on the throttle though. That assembly is slipping.

Last edited:
   / spring loaded throttle? #10  
I do notice that as I follow the throttle linkage from the hand lever to the end of all the links, at the front of the tractor, the whole thing is hooked to a spring, which is pulling it back, against me when I try to speed it up.

Governor