Happy New Owner! Ford 4000

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #1  

hatch789

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 580C
I have wanted my own piece of equipment for excavation for some time now. I thought for some time, that I'd get a skid loader, then I considered a mini-excavator. Finally I decided on a backhoe, front-end loader combo since it can do most everything, it just might take longer doing some things because it's not specialized for each task. No problem. I love to learn and I always consider time spent on learning... time well spent.

So I'm excited that I just purchased my first piece of heavy equipment. About 10,000 lbs of it in fact! An old Ford 4000. I will have to post some pics.

The name BUD is welded into the top left of the front bucket so I will call my new baby "Bud" out of respect and I like the name anyway. :laughing:

Take care guys! I will be asking a lot of questions on here I imagine. I need to figure out what this baby can do and how to best use it!

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #2  
i will assume it is a 3 cyl job and not a 4, however is it a straight 4000 or actually an industrial model?

post the model id code from the bellhousing aft of the starter. if you post the sn and date code we can date it for you down to the time of day built as well as where built.

welcome to tbn

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000
I will do that. I was going to ask how to properly identify my machine so I will do what you asked and try to get the specifics. I also have a few pics I will post. Hopefully they will help.

My machine sounds like a 4140 or 4130 from other descriptions I have read. It is a 4 cyl gasoline (not diesel). It is industrial yellow and has what I believe is a 713 backhoe (from my research) and 723 front end loader.

Again, all this is new to me so I'm just trying to start with proper identification. I will abandon this thread as I assume there are much more appropriate places to post these questions and information.

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000
I will do that. I was going to ask how to properly identify my machine so I will do what you asked and try to get the specifics. I also have a few pics I will post. Hopefully they will help.

My machine sounds like a 4140 or 4130 from other descriptions I have read. It is a 4 cyl gasoline (not diesel). It is industrial yellow and has what I believe is a 713 backhoe (from my research) and 723 front end loader.

Again, all this is new to me so I'm just trying to start with proper identification. I will abandon this thread as I assume there are much more appropriate places to post these questions and information.

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #5  
   / Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #6  
   / Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #8  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Ford Vintage Tractors forum. :)

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #9  
If your manchine has an actuator cable system on in it might be an 1801 series instead of a 4000 even though it's painted to look like a 4000. On the left side of the tractor just behind the starter on the bellhousing there is a flat spot your first set of number are your serial number above that will be your model numbers. Just after that bump out on the bellhousing there may or may not be a lever, either J shaped or straight round lever flatted on the end. This will be a sherman trans.
The cable system was not one of fords better ideas. If it breaks, which that alway did, parts are no longer available. The later system on the 4000 was better.
I have a few 4000's both light and heavy duty and an 1801 series. I might be able to send you some info on the cable system if you can't find it else where.
Good luck with your new tractor.

Kirk

/ Happy New Owner! Ford 4000 #10  
he's got an 1841-S