Ford 3000 Diesel smoking

/ Ford 3000 Diesel smoking #1  

dhlowe

Tractor
1970 Ford 3000
I have a 1970 Model Ford 3000 (diesel) that has recently started smoking out the blow by tube. The top mounted exhaust shows little to no smoke unless under heavy load. The hour meter stopped at 5705 a year or so after I bought it. (2010) I don't know if the engine has ever been rebuilt. Tractor is primarily used to bush hog and spray 25 acres twice a year. Question is...has anyone experienced only smoke through blow by and not exhaust with this model? What is likely the cause (and cure) for this? Any advice appreciated.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel smoking #2  
lots of questions need to be answered.

when was the last time you changed the oil?

what oil did you use?

is the oil overfull? / is it making oil?

does it smell like diesel?

if it has an inline pump.. have you serviced it's oil?

does she have the power you need?

does she start ok cold?

post back

/ Ford 3000 Diesel smoking
I appreciate the quick reply, sound guy. Answers to follow up questions are...
1. when was the last time you changed the oil?
The oil was changed in early spring of this year, and again with the same after the blow by started smoking.

2. what oil did you use?
With Traveller Diesel Engine Oil SAE 30, Ford FL1A filter.

3. is the oil overfull? / is it making oil?
Not overfull and not making oil

4. does it smell like diesel?
It smells like diesel exhaust but not like raw fuel.

5. if it has an inline pump.. have you serviced it's oil?
It has simms injectors, but I've not fooled with fuel system.

6. does she have the power you need?
Power and pull is fine, was bush hogging under load when smoking started, it ( smoking) increased as I finished last 2 acres of job. Changed oil and filter since and smoking is getting worse ( from bb tube)

7. does she start ok cold?
It starts fine, within 5-10 seconds, without any trouble.
As stated in post, it appears to have a lot of hours ( 5700) but it has been a great little tractor for the last 2 years. Minor repairs, generator-regulator replacement, and a new battery. I've no real experience in engine rebuilding and am hesitant about putting a lot of money in an older machine.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel smoking #4  
1, service that simms pump.. it needs oil int he cam box.

2, not making oil.. and oil does not smell fuel diluted.. or look fuel diluted.. but does smoke out the breather some... starts good.

Um.. other than the oil choice is not what I would use.. I'd run it till it has some real problem symptom other than smoking.

I'd personally run a 15w40 oil. traveler has some.. etc.

smoking by itself would not make me stop and tear into it.

lastly. service the air filter when you service the pump cam box. ps. don't get crazy ont he cam box.. don't strip the lil plugs..

PS..MIX IN 1 QUART ATF TYPE f OR DEX / MERC when you change that oil. add a lil of that plus some power service ( or simialr ) cleaner to the fuel.. .. and run her. just monitor oil and water at each startup, looking for new symptoms or signs.

again.. a reasonable amount of smoke out the breather ALONE, would not make me do anything. If it starts becomeing a mosquito fogger.. you will need to do more invasive work.. at least testing to start with anyway.

My 7610s makes enough compression out of it's breather tube to blow up baloons.. but is otherwise fine..

Thanks for your help! Will do as you advised and keep an eye on the oil and water.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel smoking #6  
deffinately just keep monitoring for any other changes..

/ Ford 3000 Diesel smoking #7  
If I had to make a guess it would be stuck or broken rings. If the rings are sticking the ATF fluid or Marvel Mystery oil can loosen them up again.
I just opened up a Kubota diesel that had no compression. Before doing this I pulled the injectors and dumped some MM oil into the cylinders and turned it over a couple of times. After removing the head I was able to wipe with a rag all the carbon out of the engine. This is the first time I've tried this and still find the results hard to believe. After cleaning all the carbon out of the valves and reassembling the engine it starts and runs fine. I'm not a fan of miracles in a can but that stuff is really something.
Good luck with your blow by.

Cvans, Thanks for the reply and insight on possible cause. I've done as SG advised with the cam box and oil breather and will run the tractor for a while, under load, on my next day off.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel smoking #9  
he;ll be very lucky if stuck rings. I'm betting on broken rings though.. OC anyway..