1801/4000 HD Forklift

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift #1  

MikesTractor

Silver Member
Tractor
1964 Ford 2000D and 1959 Ford 801
I think I got a good deal. I just bought part of a Ford Forklift. I spotted this at a local machine shop today. The owner was planning to sell some of the parts and then scrap what was left. I didn't get there in time to get the whole thing, though. He had already sold the mast, forks, counterweight, hood, and tires/wheels. I am getting the complete chassis (rear axle, transmission, engine, front axle and all steering components, and most of the hydraulics. At first I just wanted the chassis because so many of the parts will work on the 2 tractors I already have (64 2000 D and 59 801). A couple of the guys that work there told me that they drove it onto the yard, and that was just a couple of weeks ago, so now I'm hoping for a running chassis.

I was thinking this would make a good loader tractor by moving the seat and steering back to their proper places. The front hydraulic pump is still there as is most of the hydraulics. I already have a loader that will work on it.

I have worked on Ford tractors for close to 35 years, but have never fooled with the forklifts very much. I know this is basically a 1801/4000 HD. One of the things I'm curious about is the transmission. It is a 4 speed w/shuttle. I have a couple of questions:
  1. Does this transmission support a PTO?
  2. Is the ring and pinion different in this than a regular tractor?
  3. Can someone help me figure out exactly what chassis I have. The only numbers on the transmission are 362, then below that is 0043 (see pic below). I have looked this thing over and can't find an ID tag

Thanks, Mike

DSCN0410.jpgDSCN0405.jpgDSCN0407.jpgDSCN0414.jpgDSCN0415.jpg

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift #2  
This is a heavy duty 4000 forklift. Probably a late '62 early '63. It would have came with a 172 engine. It has a sherman reverser trans. Like the HD TLB it has the same frame. As far as adding a loader they bolted to the frame, sheet metal, HD grille and steering was different from your standard tractor. Photos below are my '63 4000 HD forklift and my '65 HD TLB for comparason. This was a nice save from the scrap man. The good new is it will be lighter to load without the counter weight and mast, minus about 3000 lbs. Although it came with 24" rims your standard 28" rims will fit so thrown a set of wheels on it and load it up.
Kirk
backhoe.jpg103_0272.JPG

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift #3  
i see no engine mounted hydro pump.. might or might not have the tubes in the tranny.

likely does not even have the pto shifter plate or guts at the rear, no hyd top cover.. etc.

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift #4  
There will be tubes in the tranny just cover by a plate where the hyd manifold would be.

ring and pinion the same
PTO support will not be at the end of the tranny. It will be capped off.

Kirk

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift
Soundguy, you're right. It doesn't have any of the tractor hydraulics on it since it was a forklift. It has a hydraulic pump that drives off the crankshaft to operate the forklift hydraulics. The lift cover and 3 point linkage, engine mounted pump, hydraulic manifold, and all PTO parts I have on another tractor I am parting out. I looked at the steering and since it is hydraulic, I don't think it will be a lot of trouble to turn around. Seat mount will be there when I add the lift cover.

As for the PTO, what I am concerned about is if this transmission has the output shaft to connect the PTO shaft to. I may have to wait till I get it home and pull the PTO shifter/inspection plate to see what is in there.

Kirk,
Good looking tractor/loader. The loader I have is a Ford model 712. Do you know what model you have? The next time I get down to the farm, I'll get a picture of it.

I was curious about the ring and pinion, since the primary direction of travel was different.

I went back by the machine shop today to look for more numbers on the forklift. The owner was telling me that the guy wanting the tires backed out on him. He offered them all to me for $75.00 so I bought them! The rears are not mounted, but that isn't a problem. Now I can make this thing roll.

IMG_20140313_145837_625.jpgIMG_20140313_145850_916.jpg

Gonna try to move it home next week. Looks like this will be my summer project (I'm not near as fast as Soundguy).

Thanks, Mike

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift #6  
Only reason I question the presence of tubes inthe trans is I have seen units without them and it surprised me.

I was shopping for a 5spd or replacement ( other) a while back and walking thru a boneyard and saw a trans case with no tubes. surprised me.

There will be tubes in the tranny just cover by a plate where the hyd manifold would be.

ring and pinion the same
PTO support will not be at the end of the tranny. It will be capped off.

Kirk

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift
I cant get down to see this one right now. It is sitting on the ground and that part is buried. Guess I'll find out when I pick it up.

Another thing I was curious about. I got a casting # off the engine of D1NL-8016A.

IMG_20140313_145244_720.jpg

Mike

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift #8  
i don't have the 192ci casting numbers memorized.. and my book is at home ( i'm at work".. but maybee kirk can look.

would be nice to have a 192!

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift #9  
Yes, my loaders are model 712 on my two HD 4000 and my HD 1841. When you open the side cover all you will see will be a cap were the PTO support should be if you had a PTO.
If you hit the numbers on the engine with a wire brush you will likely find it is 6015A. It's a 172 industrial engine. I'm not sure about switching the steering housing if it's going to be that easy. Once you get the tin off you should know right away.
Did you get the 24" rims/centers along with the tires? Interesting project and saving from the scrap yard, keep us up to date.

Chris, Most of the HD's and forklifts were 4 speeds with sherman combos or reversers, except the SOS models. Of all the ones I've had apart with no Hyd or pto they have all had tubes running thru the trans. I have not seen a 5 speed HD, don't know if they even made them. I know I haven't run across one with a five speed so you might be right about that. I have the trans out of my '65 and since it has the tubes I may add a 3pt & PTO and not put the backhoe back on for a while.

Kirk

/ 1801/4000 HD Forklift #10  
for all i know someone could have snatched them and capped it? don't know for sure.. and wouldn't make too much of an assumption on the 1 unit i saw either. just tossing it out there as something to watch out for.

that's the one downside to using a phone to browse. the pics are all too small for me to see.. and pixilate if I try to blow them up.