4000 hydraulic pump question

/ 4000 hydraulic pump question #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
Hopefully someone can help me. I'm rebuilding the hydraulic pump and I have a little confusion. The "Cover & Pin Assembly" diagram shows the inlet ball cage with the 3 prongs facing up, that's the way they were when I pulled the pump apart. The service manuals exploded diagram shows them prong up but someone took the time to write "Turn around" with an arrow pointing to the cage in my manual. On the other half of the pump the cage goes in with the prongs(or feet) going in the pocket first. I'm thinking there was a misprint with the cage prongs facing up. Here's some pictures of what I'm looking at. One of the service manual, one with the prong facing up and down. The last pic is of the mating half with be prongs facing down. I'm thinking that's the way they're supposed to go in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    884 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
   / 4000 hydraulic pump question #2  
They go in prongs first. Which manual are you using? I looked in mine just to make sure, otherwise, I would have been doing it wrong for over 30 years.:eek: Sometimes they are a kinda hard to put in the head end (your first pic). Just make sure they are flush with the flat surface around them before reassembly.

Mike

/ 4000 hydraulic pump question
Thanks Mike, I thought the service manual diagram was wrong. I have an OEM service manual that came with the tractor. I'm gonna try getting it back togeather tomorrow then start on the power steering pump.

One more question about the hydraulic pump before I put it back on. The picture with the blue paint is the engine drive gear and the other one is the driven gear on the pump. There is a hole that looks like it should take grease for the pump gear. I can't find a grease fitting anywhere on the tractor and I've looked in the service manual. Does anyone know where this grease fitting is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 66
   / 4000 hydraulic pump question #5  
Those holes are oil holes. Make sure the holes are clear. The pump gear shaft and bearings are oiled through these holes from the engine.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll clean it up and put it back on there. Its really slow going gettin this machine back together but I'm trying. I'm sure everyone has their weeks where whatever could go wrong, did & does.

Last edited:
   / 4000 hydraulic pump question #7  
No problem. Glad I could help. Don't forget to put the gasket back under the pump, might prevent an oily mess.

Mike