Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front #1  

tmac196

Silver Member
Tractor
1951 Ford 8N, 1965 Ford 2000, Grasshopper 325D, JD 5065M
our 1951 8N is beginning to make a "clicking" sound in the front right side of the engine. I wondered if this was due to a "stuck lifter" and in the process of investigating it, came across a significant wiggle in the crankshaft pulley as it was revolving.

Here is a video of the pulley you can also make out the clicking sound with the audio turned up: 8N Crankshaft pulley wiggle - YouTube

If the link above doesn't work, here is the direct link: 8N Crankshaft pulley wiggle - YouTube

Some questions arise:

1. What are the possible causes of the pulley wiggle and are these significant? Does this wiggle need to be fixed? I admit that I never noticed it before.

2. Is it possible to pinpoint the source of my clicking anywhere based upon the audio stream?

tmac196

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front #2  
I'd stop running the engine and get the pulley slop fixed. I am not familar with 8n engine inner workings so hopefully soundguy can chime in, however Without pulling thast pulley wheel off to inspect the shaft that goes into the engine, I'd say a possible race bearing failed.

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front #3  
I agree. That is not normal. Even for a Ford.

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front #4  
that pulley is on the crank snout. no bearing race. :)

just a seal.

it's liekly the sheet metal pulley. may be coming apart.

might be no retaining bolt in. should be a hand crank headed bolt.. or some hex replacement.

take a look

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front
I'll see if I can get a wrench or socket on the retaining bolt today. Looks like a challenge as the front axle/kingpin assembly is directly in front where my socket needs to be. Assuming I can get a socket on, what is the best way to prevent the crankshaft from turning once I apply torque to the breaker bar?

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front #6  
Take the inspection cover off the clutch and put a large bladed screwdriver in one of the teeth and wedge it against the side of the bell housing. That is one way or if no inspection cover then remove starter and wedge in there.

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front
Well, I attempted to get a wrench on the bolt which fixes the pulley to the crank snout and the frame is too tightly positioned in front to do so. I was able to squeeze my iPhone in close enough for a few shots.

photopulley 1.JPG
photopulley 2.JPG

The bolt appears to accept a hand crank, but the curved edges are large enough that even if I could miraculously make the frame disappear, I wouldn't be able to get a socket over these edges to what feels like a hex-type connector aft of these curved edges.

The tunnel for the hand crank is way to small to attempt to pass a socket (with a long extension) through it, as well.

Will the whole front end need to be removed to get this pulley off? That seems extreme.

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front #8  
I'm guessing that if you get the pulley tight you're clicking noise will go away as well. Before I did anything I would gently pry with a pry bar and make sure the pulley is loose and not just bent. Is the pulley held on with a bolt inside the cogs for hand cranking?

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front #9  
My guess is that the pulley is slightly bent. That wasn't uncommon on the N's. As Soundguy said, the pulley is held on with a hand crank headed bolt. The hand crank notches are part of the bolt head. The bolt looks tight. If the bolt was loose, the grease and debris buildup around it would be broken or show a definite crack in the buildup. Besides, if it was loose, the pulley would only slide in and out, not wobble.

I don't think the pulley would be the clicking noise unless it is cracked. I would look at other things near the front of the engine, like the governor or the valve adjustment. Not saying this is the problem, but I would check them.

EDIT: I watched your video and the clicking sound I heard sounds like a valve out of adjustment. Hard to be sure from here though.

Mike

/ Ford 8N crankshaft pulley wiggle and a clicking noise arising up front #10  
yup. the pulley is likely bent unless you can reach in and feel the bolt being loose. the old pulley are sheet metal.

look at water pump too!