Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue #11  
Hey SG I wasn't going to mention that cause I wasn't sure but I didn't think it had cam bearings.

Bam!
Silver Member!

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue #12  
giving advice on an engine you are unfamiliar with is counter productive.
I agree and that is why a made a point of this.
I'm not that familiar with the internals of your engine.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue
Thank you all for advice. Looks like I have a few things to check out before start tearing it apart but something tells me I'm going to have to anyway. I apollogize for not being all that specific with the problem, it is difficult to describe a sound in words but it is a metal on metal sound as if you were tapping a 5/8" wrench on/inside the engine.

Soundguy, no milling done to the engine but I did replace one connecting rod with new bushings in all 4.. I will probably end up checking the bearing halves but I am not sure what you mean by "kill one cylinder at a time" Thank you!

8N Ren, yes 6v/genny, that I had rebuilt with a new pulley. I did not replace the water pump, didn't seem to have any play but I will take a closer look. Can't smell coolant/no appearent leaks. Thanks

rsallen, the front pulley is something I need to take a look at. Unfortunately the tractor is in my shop which is not where I live and is not heated. Waiting for warmer weather here in Wisconsin. I really can't tell where the knock is coming from, more towards the front, can't tell if top or bottom. middle maybe? Thanks

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue #14  
By killing 1 cylinder at a time I think he means pull the plug wire.

From what you just posted it sounds like a water pump to me. Best to check first. Keep us updated.

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue #15  
I agree and that is why a made a point of this.

I'm not that familiar with the internals of your engine.

Lets look at the timeline...

post 3, 3-18, 5:49pm

that's when you told the OP about the wild goose chase cam bearing issue.

post 6, 3-19, 9:07 am

That's when you backpedled and mentioned your previous advice had no basis of fact for the application in question.

What if the OP had went home and pulled his engine down after reading that first post telling him he needed to check cam bearings?

what a surprise it would be to do that and then NOT FIND ANY!

Might as well check the muffler bearings too!

I don't offer any advice on rotary engines.. because I'm not familiar enough with them.

No need to send the OP in any direction that shouldn't be encountered when he's trying to track soemthing down. .. that's all I'm saying. misleading advice can waste time and $$.. no one wants that....

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue #16  
OK. I'm still sorry just as I was before. I had not intentions of turning anything I posted into a pissing contest.
Sincerely wish the best to all of you.

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue
Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to read my post and help me out. I am trying to keep within a budget that isn't that large and also don't have as much time to spend on it as I'd like. I well hopefully get to it this weekend or next. I will post back with my findings!

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue #18  
Did I fail to see someone mention Plastiguage on all mains and rods? Sloppy bearing clearance is a source of low oil pressure but lots of engines have low oil pressure at idle. I has a car that would show the oil pressure light at about 3,000 rpms if I had hot thin oil. Thicker multigrade and the oil light would stay off. Of course the Ford would not have the same dual sensor warning system as that VW.

On the other hand, I see people theorize it is a bad water pump or other accessory making noise.

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue #19  
in general, if you open up an old N and pull the old - worn bearings out, and replace them with the same size that came out, you don't need plastigauge ( for safety). mind you.. while bearing clearances are back up. worn journals are still present. so you still have more than 're-grind' clearance. but better than you had.

I've never seen a bearing repalcement NOT yeild at least SOME better oil pressure, on a machine that had badly worn beairngs.

it's not a rebuild.. it's a banddaid.

IE.. new rings, hone sleaves, ream ridge, new pan and head gasket, hand lap on valve seats, and renew main and rod bearings.

can only get better... usually buys you a few psi compression and oil pressure and a few years more hard labor before you have to do the machine shop route.

/ Frustrating Oil Pressure Issue #20  
I guess my biggest question is, had this engine been run up before the 'rebuild'?
ie., is this a new noise?