First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer?

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #21  
I only have two settings - 540 & 1000 RPM. Is there a way of controlling the RPM I'm not aware of?

Throttle :)

Don't run at PTO RPM speed. The PTO RPM is at a specific engine RPM. Run the engine slower, even down to idle speed.

Bruce

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer?
Well, I was able to get all 6 post holes dug tonight without mishap. I need to learn how to get the hole cleaner though. I noticed that on about 3 of them I left a bunch of loose dirt in the hole that now I'll have to dig by hand. Hopefully the rain holds off until after tomorrow so they don't become too compacted again. The other 3 holes were clean but begun to fill up with water by the time I was done.

I noticed several things using this PHD & my PTO for the first time.
1. My PTO engage does in fact work. Interestingly enough, I dug most of the first hole with the PTO not engaged. I didn't turn it on until right at the very end. However, on the other holes, the auger stopped turning unless the PTO was engaged.

2. My PHD wants to lean to one side or the other depending on how the tractor is resting. I tried to level it using my lift arm leveler, but had limited success.

3. When I lift up even slightly to empty the auger, the tip of the auger wants to swing about wildly in a circular motion roughly 12"-18" in diameter. Beat the tar out of the sides of the holes and I suspect that's why so much soil wanted to fall back in. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I had to put the auger down almost immediately to cease the shaking.

4. My lift hydraulics are touchy. It does ok in the lower half of the range, but as I get to the upper half, the lift arms want to take off all the way to the top. Makes the auger swing a lot and it makes the swivels at the end of the PTO-to-gearbox connecting shaft clank around a lot. Can this be adjusted?

Overall, I'd say the fact that I didn't plant the tractor on my first attempt or hit any major roots (I was digging in the woods!) or obstacles makes this first adventure a success.

On a side note, I got my shop manual and the SOS transmission supplement in the mail today from Everydaytractors.com. The pictures are a little dark but hopefully they'll be useful.

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #23  
I only have two settings - 540 & 1000 RPM. Is there a way of controlling the RPM I'm not aware of?

Um.. THROTTLE maybe...

Remember.. pto speed is a ratio based on engine speed, there is no magic box under the hood that makes the pot spin at 540 OT 1000 regardless of the engine rpm. That would be some good magic :)

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #24  
make sure you are notin draft mode.. and slow theauger down. Should not be running that fast if it is swinging that wildly.

Good luck

make sure you are notin draft mode.. and slow theauger down. Should not be running that fast if it is swinging that wildly.

Good luck

I only had the gas on maybe 10-20%. Pretty easy on the throttle.
I'll have to check the draft mode.

Anybody know what the load capability is of the boom that my Fieldmaster PHD came with? I took the auger & gearbox off the boom today, and was thinking I use the boom for carrying a few things, but don't want to overload it. I realize the auger/gearbox doesn't weight more than a hundred pounds or so, so I assume the load rating is not much more than 2 or 3x that.

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #27  
i've used regular 3pt booms to move 500# before. how does that one look built compaired to a real purpose built boom pole.

Here's an in-progress picture of the chicken house I'm building for 62 chickens. The PHD started it all with 6 holes in the ground and is officially my first tractor project.

10171840_3950873507002_6490807658312204635_n.jpg

/ First time using PTO. Can I get a quick primer? #29  
many of my pens are built with those heavy welded wire panels too!

many of my pens are built with those heavy welded wire panels too!

I've seen a lot of people build these hoop houses on skids for portability. For the past 2 winters, though, we've been getting 60-70 mph straight-line winds. As such, I wanted this sunk in the ground with concrete.