Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

Thanks for the thread. Nice job. Someday maybe you'll pass it toyour grand kid...that would be cool.

Tractor
    1958 861D Ford Powermaster Diesel & 1949 Ford 8N

Default Re: 861 diesel problems

Quote Originally Posted by skylarkguy View Post
    Someday maybe you'll pass it toyour grand kid...that would be cool.
    Yes it would be cool to know the grandkids still use my stuff, but I expect my widow will turn my toys into cruise ship vacation fodder Heck, she hasn't ever seen the old girl run before or after the rebuild. However she has kept a close eye on those parts receipts!

I was able to install my hydraulic pump gauge I ordered a couple days ago. However the weather has turned bitter cold here in NC for me (low at night 25ish) and I have not tested it out. This may be shorts and tank top weather to you folks up north, but this old southern boy's blood don't move very fast anymore. By the time I got it installed, I wanted to go back inside and get warm. I came out the next day with fresh batteries in my camera to take a couple of pics, hook up my trickle charger, charge the wife's dead battery in her van and quickly headed back inside our house. I even got a heater inside one of the dog houses and both dogs stay snuggled together in there most of the day and night.

-11-15-14_861d-pump-gauge

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

Yeah what's the saying...i hope my wife doen't sell my stuff for what i told her i paid...stay warm down there.

Tractor

I been wanting to test out the hydraulic gauge I installed, and today it warmed up to the upper 40s this afternoon. I fired the Red Tiger up cold with no block heater and not using the glow/heater plugs, but it took 3 spins of the starter before she caught. Next time I'll use my manifold heaters. I don't have a block heater (yet).

The hydraulic gauge did not move. I raised the lever for the lift and the gauge only registered about 400 lbs. max to lift the 6ft. scrape blade in the air. Once up in the air, it dropped back down to 0 the entire time it was raised. I don't know if those numbers are good or bad, but I'm guessing OK. Worked the tractor dragging leaves off into the woods again long enough for to warm up the engine and parked her again. The new 4 lb. radiator cap I bought did not let any antifreeze dribble out of the overflow this time. The new fuel cap I bought will have to go back for a refund though. It's domed shaped top will not let the hood close all the way. The old one with the homemade leather gasket I made is still holding dry for now, so I'll just wait and see.

I do believe I can call this project done and ready to go. Ill leave the scrape blade on over the winter (unless I find an Indian Summer day to play with something else) just in case I get the chance to move some snow. We usually average one or two good snow falls a year around here that require snow plows on the roads, and that is more than I like, but better than you folks further north and out west have to deal with.

Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Sounds like you did an excellent job on the rebuild!
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

The system uses an unloader, once lifted, it unloads to about 40 psi. When lifting, pressure is dependent on load, to see meaningful #'s for 3pt pump, chain upper lift arms to axle and exercise lift, have a 3000 or so psi gauge.
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Tractor
    Ford 861 Powermaster Diesel

I just read you whole story I to have a 861 Diesel and have just gone through the motor again long story short it runs great I have had it about 6 years, the only thing I have found is it does drip a couple of drops of oil when cold. I did put a high pressure pump in to buy some time with worn bearings but after having the crank machined and new bearings it pins the 80 psi gauge cold and at a very slow idle I run 40 psi. So if I have to add a quart of oil once and a while no big deal.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by cadman1970 View Post
    I just read you whole story I to have a 861 Diesel and have just gone through the motor again long story short it runs great I have had it about 6 years, the only thing I have found is it does drip a couple of drops of oil when cold. I did put a high pressure pump in to buy some time with worn bearings but after having the crank machined and new bearings it pins the 80 psi gauge cold and at a very slow idle I run 40 psi. So if I have to add a quart of oil once and a while no big deal.
    I'm lucky with mine that all the oil compartments & seals are tight so far - at least no puddles on the concrete. The only oil leak I have is around the rear injector fuel line where the rubber insert sets in the head. Three problems I've noticed with mine since the rebuild is 1) the lift still does a bounce every few seconds when the pressure gauge I installed jumps 20-30 pounds. However when I shut the tractor down with the lift raised with an implement attached, it does not bleed down and let the implement fall.

2) I noticed this winter when I fired it up to move some snow that the overflow on the radiator dribbled a lot of my antifreeze on the ground to the point it began to get hot after about 30 minutes (with snow on the ground) and I had to shut it down to cool off. It has a new thermostat and 4lb radiator cap. Since then I refilled the radiator and opened the cap to the first notch to release the pressure from the system when running. Just this past Wednesday (outside temp about 80 degrees) I attached my box blade and began moving 10 loads of fill dirt we had dumped at our rental house and spent about 3 hours on the tractor. The first time I have really worked it hard since the refurbish and I had no problems with the radiator or temperature. In fact it tended to run cool with the needle on the gauge running at about 11:00 position (about where the orange meets the green on the meter) after the thermostat first opened (at 1:00 position) and the needle moved down it stayed there all the rest of the day.
    -1-20-15_socket-3-jpg

3) Someone stopped to talk to me about my tractor and I dropped the idle down to hear him better. As I expected the generator light came on. However when he left and I throttled the tractor back up the generator light never went back out and remained glowing strong until I quit. I have not had a chance to check that out yet. By the way I did have to buy a new proper size battery as expected. The small one that was in there died over the winter even with a cheap HF trickle charger attached to it all winter.
    By the proof meter I have only added 3 hours to the tractor since my rebuild, but she runs strong so far and seems to have twice the power my little 8N does. I still have a lot of dirt to level and move and a garden to plow in the next few weeks when the rains stop, so it should get a good break in.
    -4-2-15_10-loads-dirt
    The guy that stopped me on my tractor Wed. to talk, is coming by this morning to look at my 8N I have for sale. I had the scoop bucket attached to the 8N and moved about a dozen loads with it Wed. morning to some of the low spots in the yard before the sun ran me back inside till late afternoon shadows when I used the 861D and box blade. I miss the seat that I moved to my 861D. I put the pan seat back on the 8N and I do not like not having a back on the seat. The old 8N still tries to throw me off if I don't have a firm grip on the steering wheel sometimes.
    -8-6-14_8n-04-jpg
    -12-7-14_diesel-decal-1-a
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -8-2-14_powermaster_11-jpg  

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516