Bought my first 8n

/ Bought my first 8n #1  

kevinw8n

Tractor
1951 8n ford
Hey guys im new to the forum. Picked me up a 1951 8n ford a couple weeks ago. Tractor is in pretty good shape. When i went and looked at it the guy wanted 1200.00 for it. It had a couple issues. One the pto shaft was bent and the tractor would only idle and you had to have it fully choked to stay running. I was worried about it pulling up on the trailer if i bought it. I ended up buying it for 1000.00. It had good rubber on the rear and decent on the front. The guy also gave me a new pto shaft for it. It idled right up on the trailer with no problems. I got it home and pulled the carb off and rebuilt it and put it back on and it runs real good now. I done alot of reading up on the net about the bent shaft. Problem was it would only come out about 3-4 inches. Some said you had to split the tractor some said you didnt. Worst part of the job was cutting the shaft. I cut it behind the pump. I ended up splitting the tractor about 2 inches using some longer bolts. This allowed the pump to drop out the bottom with the piece of shaft still inside. I took a punch and was able to knock the piece of shaft back out the pump. Not sure why it wouldnt come out unless it had a small twist that was hard to see. I installed the new shaft and gasket and all is working nicely now. I will try and upload some pics shortly

Last edited:
   / Bought my first 8n #2  
the pto shaft drives the pump. the rear spline can twise and that is what causes the issue.

/ Bought my first 8n #3  
Do you mean the PTO output shaft?

/ Bought my first 8n #4  
it's only got one pto shaft.. ;)

the inner spline at the back is what twists and causes the problem..

/ Bought my first 8n #5  
a bad line drawing.. but here is the idea.

the piece witht he flange is what you see at the back of the tractor with the small stub sticking out. long piece with spline hits back of trans at coupler and rear support near shifter mechanism.. aft of pump.. etc.

Ford 8N PTO Shaft Conversion Assembly (9N700-38)

/ Bought my first 8n
Having trouble uploading pics. My future plans are power steering and a front end loader. Like the looks of the paulson ones so I have plans of building my own. Still looking around on the power steering. Can't see spending what I gave for the tractor just for a kit.

/ Bought my first 8n #9  
if i wanted PS and a ford tractor.. I'd buy a ford tractor with power steering. ;) seriously. a good ford 6xx or 8xx would be similar chassis and have the option for power steering.. and other goodies like live hyds, live pto.. better trans options..e tc.. etc..

if you do add a loader, you can add a front pump and priority valve and work up power steering with an orbital valve, and have loader hyds. remotes and live tractor lift.

probably cost 3x as much as buying a ford 6xx or 8xx with that already.. but.. ;)

/ Bought my first 8n
if i wanted PS and a ford tractor.. I'd buy a ford tractor with power steering. ;) seriously. a good ford 6xx or 8xx would be similar chassis and have the option for power steering.. and other goodies like live hyds, live pto.. better trans options..e tc.. etc..

if you do add a loader, you can add a front pump and priority valve and work up power steering with an orbital valve, and have loader hyds. remotes and live tractor lift.

probably cost 3x as much as buying a ford 6xx or 8xx with that already.. but.. ;)
All those I found was out of my price range. I can slowly build this one into the tractor I want. I plan on using a front pump style like the hokie ones. Going to build my own bracket. Got a local shop that is getting me the solid pulley and shaft and coupler. So I take it the orbital valve will hook to the steering wheel and lines can go from it to cylinders mounted on the steering rods?