8N Guys, Help Please

/ 8N Guys, Help Please #1  

Sockwell

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-HSTC,CC/Y EX3200, 1950 8N
I have my grandfathers '50 model 8N. Many years ago, Pop converted the tractor to a 12V system. I inherited the tractor, had it restored, and have been using it for gardening and other light chores. Yesterday, I went to start the tractor to hook up the potato plow. When I turned the key, there was a sizzling sound from beneath the hood, then nothing. I released the key, then tried it again. Nothing. I ran my hand along all the wiring, the generator, starter, solenoid and wiring behind the dash. I couldn't smell anything hot, nor could I feel anything hot. This is the first issue I've had since the restoration. Any hints you guys might give are appreciated. Thanks.

/ 8N Guys, Help Please #2  
Need to get a meter or a test light out. If you do not know how to use either that is a great place to start being a very basic circuit. Check your battery terminals as well as starter and ground terminals for cleanliness and tightness.

/ 8N Guys, Help Please #3  
Sounds like a bad connection. I'd start by cleaning the battery terminals. I've had that particular problem arise lots of times, and not just with Ford 8Ns.

/ 8N Guys, Help Please #4  
turned key and released?

Soiunds like you have converted this tractor to a key to start system and have disabled the safety interlock starter button and solenoid meant to prevent the tractor from starting in gear and possibly killing or hurting others ( like children ).

since the sizzle was heard in the hold to start section, then you need to check the wireing from the start lug on the key to the solenoid firs. if those wires check good, then check wires feeding power to the key. then check the key itself with an ohm meter. contacts may have gone bad.

easiest way to do this is use a test lamp probe, with clamp on ground and probe and see where you have power and where you loose power. move one connection at a time. when you have power and move to the next conenction and loose power.. the problem is between those 2 connections.

ps. be carefull with your NON safety start tractor.... IMHO.. not a great idea..

/ 8N Guys, Help Please #5  
Soundguy said:
turned key and released?

Soiunds like you have converted this tractor to a key to start system and have disabled the safety interlock starter button and solenoid meant to prevent the tractor from starting in gear and possibly killing or hurting others ( like children ).

since the sizzle was heard in the hold to start section, then you need to check the wireing from the start lug on the key to the solenoid firs. if those wires check good, then check wires feeding power to the key. then check the key itself with an ohm meter. contacts may have gone bad.

easiest way to do this is use a test lamp probe, with clamp on ground and probe and see where you have power and where you loose power. move one connection at a time. when you have power and move to the next conenction and loose power.. the problem is between those 2 connections.

ps. be carefull with your NON safety start tractor.... IMHO.. not a great idea..

That is a great point. With my WD I find myself repeatedly checking to make sure it's out of gear since it is not like the old ford. That is definitely a safety feature that is beyond important.

/ 8N Guys, Help Please #6  
yup, can't be too safe...

/ 8N Guys, Help Please
Thanks, guys. I had checked the battery connections and they were ok. I had not checked the connections on the other ends of the cables. The problem was the connection at the starter.

And no, I don't make a habit out of modifying equipment in ways that will injury or kill children. Any modification made to this tractor was made by my grandfather and he passed away in the 90's. But thanks for pointing this out. I will get this corrected as well.

/ 8N Guys, Help Please #8  
Sockwell said:
Thanks, guys. I had checked the battery connections and they were ok. I had not checked the connections on the other ends of the cables. The problem was the connection at the starter.

And no, I don't make a habit out of modifying equipment in ways that will injury or kill children. Any modification made to this tractor was made by my grandfather and he passed away in the 90's. But thanks for pointing this out. I will get this corrected as well.

Glad you found it, and nobody really thinks you modify to kill or your grandfather did for that matter. It's just that say when trouble shooting a start issue your trying to start it in front of wheels a lot. Just something to think about.

/ 8N Guys, Help Please #9  
Glad you found it, and nobody really thinks you modify to kill or your grandfather did for that matter. It's just that say when trouble shooting a start issue your trying to start it in front of wheels a lot. Just something to think about.

exactly.

there was a thread in another forum on this board not very long ago.. a few weeks. guy was trying to troubleshoot a no start on his diesel tractor. dropped a wrench and it fell in the magic spot to arc/start the starter motor and WELD in place, the tractor ran him over. he lived but was pretty badly wounded ..

thus why we mention starter safety.. etc.