3500 starter clearance on diesel

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel #1  

Treebob38

Tractor
ford 3550
I have a 3500 backhoe. Need to pull the starter.doesn't look like its gonna clear the injector pump. Has anyone pulled one of these? Its the rail style pump everything is out the top.I'm gonna give it a shot in a few days when the weather is better, just looking for insight right now...special tools, etc

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel #2  
Are you sure that it is bad?

What is it doing?

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel
Bendix is sticking.half to keep hitting the key then it'll finally hit.want to pull it out and rebuild etc. Tractor had a new flywheel, clutch put in it about 100 hrs ago.but my buddy didn't think about the starter...

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel #4  
Might could get by till warmer weather, by pulling it back enough to spray some silicone oil on the shaft.

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel #5  
Assuming battery is not weak and causing problem (turn on headlights during start sequence and see if they appreciably dim), try spraying the end of the bendix, if you can get to it, with silicone spray. This will not, of course, get to the very insides of the bendix, only dissassembly can do that, but sometimes it works.

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel #6  
Starter does come off with up in place, helps to loosed fuel filter head, and have a few ratchet extensions and or wobble sockets

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel #7  
I have a 3500 backhoe. Need to pull the starter.doesn't look like its gonna clear the injector pump. Has anyone pulled one of these? Its the rail style pump everything is out the top.I'm gonna give it a shot in a few days when the weather is better, just looking for insight right now...special tools, etc

I have done this. But first, make sure that your battery ground is good. Many starter "problems" are ground problems. Many starters are needlessly replaced. I have installed the heaviest gauge ground cable I can work with a pigtail going to a supplementary grounding point, at the recommendation of my local starter/generator shop. If you still have to remove the starter, it is not easy. I had to remove the in-line primer pump from the injection pump (Simms), the fuel filter and bracket and the fuel line from the tank for enough clearance to remove the starter. One of the three mounting bolts, the back one recessed into the block, was only accessible with the tools I had at hand by removing these components.

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel #8  

I have done this. But first, make sure that your battery ground is good. Many starter "problems" are ground problems. Many starters are needlessly replaced. I have installed the heaviest gauge ground cable I can work with a pigtail going to a supplementary grounding point, at the recommendation of my local starter/generator shop. If you still have to remove the starter, it is not easy. I had to remove the in-line primer pump from the injection pump (Simms), the fuel filter and bracket and the fuel line from the tank for enough clearance to remove the starter. One of the three mounting bolts, the back one recessed into the block, was only accessible with the tools I had at hand by removing these components.

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel
Thanks guys, starter works fine just a hit and miss if its gonna engage or not.when it engages turns the motor over just fine. That's why I'm thinking Bendix issue.I suspect just gummed up. Tractor sits a lot.I'm still working on getting it home from my buddies house before they head south for the winter hinting down a trailer this week!!

/ 3500 starter clearance on diesel #10  
Thanks guys, starter works fine just a hit and miss if its gonna engage or not.when it engages turns the motor over just fine. That's why I'm thinking Bendix issue.I suspect just gummed up. Tractor sits a lot.I'm still working on getting it home from my buddies house before they head south for the winter hinting down a trailer this week!!

8000# weight, and you will need 22' trailer or longer. Be safe.