Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130 HST

Default Re: ford depth limiter chains?

Hello Soundguy!
    I made a set of limiter chains last summer. I've heard them called "check chains" by the old timers here. Anyway, I fabricated mine from some 1/4" chain, some short pieces of flat iron and a couple of very small clevises which hold the chain to the flat irons. The clevises I found at the local farm and ranch store and they were hanging in the store section with all the 3 point links and top link accessories. Since I dont have a welder, I drilled holes in the short ~2" X 2" sections and attached these with the clevises from the tractor top link to the mower's lower 3 pt lift pins.
    So bottom line is that I love them! Since I dont have draft control with this old tractor they are a necessity. Actually, I wont even try and mow without them now. If you're interested in my setup, I'll get ya pictures. Id have to dig it out of the snow, tho....Im using them on an old Allis D14 and a really junky BMB 5' rotary mower.
    dwight

Tractor
    old Ferguson

No luck finding them at 3 different TSC stores. I just ran a chain around the bracket that holds the top link and hooked the ends to the lift arms.... works, but not what I want. Don't have a torch and welder anymore, so need to buy some. Pls. post if you know where they are sold.

Tractor
    1957 Ford 860

Here's what I rigged up. Chains stay on the mower and the height can be changed while sitting on seat. I'm not sure if the weight of the mower should be resting on the top-link bracket. Seems to work good though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ford depth limiter chains?-img_0650.jpg  

Tractor
    old Ferguson

Yeah looks good. I was wondering what is the best place to hook on the mower. Most I've seen were hooked to the lower 3 pt. hitch pins. I just put the chains on the lift arms right behind the rods that pick them up. Plan to try hooking to the mower next. My tractor has a leak in the hydraulics that will be hard to fix so I don't use the lift to hold up the mower while cutting. Long as it's held up by chains I don't see much leaking out.

Still want some of those brackets if anybody knows where to buy. Sold my torch and welder years ago, and trying to get some made at a shop would be a hassle I bet.

Jeff just occurred to me if your chain popped out of the blue hook while mowing it might get in the drive shaft. Not likely, but with these old tractors if something bad can happen it probably will.
    Last edited by uhoh; 09-17-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

you likely would have to buy them online at tsc, vs the store.. however as has been shown.. you can build them too with a lil ingenuity as I did and others.

valu bilt has them.. takes 2 of their kits.. thus probably near 50$ to get a pre made set..

Valu-Bilt 902494

Veteran Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

Steven's Tractor Co. in Louisianna sells the Zerco limit chain kit, which has been around since the 50's, probably earlier. TSC once sold the Zerco kit.

Open link:

Chain Limiter Kit

I use different colored zip ties to mark links appropriate to my implements....mostly used with rotary mower.

I use bungee cords to put tension on the chains so that if a chain or fitting should come loose the dangling end will be pulled away from the PTO shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ford depth limiter chains?-img_0367.jpg   ford depth limiter chains?-img_0368.jpg  
    Last edited by jeff9366; 09-17-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

near identical to the valu built one..

Tractor
    1957 Ford 860

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh View Post
    Jeff just occurred to me if your chain popped out of the blue hook while mowing it might get in the drive shaft. Not likely, but with these old tractors if something bad can happen it probably will.
    I hadn't thought of that. It would have to jump out of both chains at the same time because I attach the loose ends together at the top. I suppose it's possible though. I'll have to connect a safety lanyard or something. Thanks for the heads up...

Tractor
    1957 Ford 860

duplicate

Tractor

i us a bunji to contoll the loose ends on mine if i even seperat ethem.. many times I union the chain and slip over the rocker..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast