Fuel injector pump leak on a 4610

/ Fuel injector pump leak on a 4610 #1  

Jim L

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford model 660, 4610 SU
Hello everyone. Been a while since I posted. Got a problem with the 4610 su. It seems to have fuel dripping out of the bottom of the pump from a bolt like stem that threads up through a cap. I have replaced two O-rings twice on the stem with regular auto o-rings and it still drips. Evidently, I'm missing something. Does it take fuel resistant o-rings? Is there another issue? Any thoughts welcome. Jim

/ Fuel injector pump leak on a 4610 #2  
How about an annealed copper washer instead of the rubber O rings.

/ Fuel injector pump leak on a 4610
I don't know if that would work or not,Jim. It might take special o-rings or something else could be wrong.

It don't effect the running of the tractor at all that I can tell.

/ Fuel injector pump leak on a 4610 #5  
I overhauled my CAV pump on my Ford 3000 recently. You will find a write up in the archives not very long ago. That unit on the bottom of the pump is an automatic retardation device for cold starting. There are 2 different size bolts on the underside which hold it to the body of the pump. The hex head on the side is a cap covering the end of the retardation piston. I would assume your leak is from the larger of the 2 mounting bolts. Have you got a copy of the manuals for the pump? If not I can email it to you if you pm me with your email address. In that you will see that there is supposed to be a stud seal and a dowty washer on that bolt.

v23nb, thanks for your offer. Yes ,I could use a break down on this pump. You have a PM. Jim

I guess I got the leak fixed. Put new o-rings on the hollow bolt first. Still leaked. Got to looking closely at it and discovered that it appeared to leaking from around the flat head screw in the center of the bolt head. I tried removing the screw to see if it required an o-ring and couldn't get it to budge. So I took lacquer thinner and washed all traces of paint and diesel off of it and used good ole J-B weld over the screw. LOL Took it out and used it with a scrape blade for a 1/2hr at 3/4 throttle. No leaks yet. If it goes to leaking again, I'll get a new bolt from NH. Thanks v23nb, your manual told me what I needed to know. jim