Trouble Getting 8N Started

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started #1  

wrekless

Tractor
Deere
I inherited a 1952 Ford 8n about a year ago. It had been sitting for a number of years so I converted it to 12v, put on a new wiring harness, new plugs/altenator/condensor/coil/wires/points/rotor/cap. I rebuilt and cleaned out the carb. Changed the oil, cleaned out/replaced the fuel filters. It fired right up. I have been using it every couple of weeks over the past year since then. It starts immediately every time. The only running issue I had is it didn't like me to increase the throttle before it warmed up. Once it warmed up everything on the engine works fine. (hydraulic gremlins are another story)

A few weeks ago it started up normally. I used it for an hour or so pulling logs out of the woods. Mid-pull it lost power and started sounding very weak then died about 15 seconds later. Since then I cannot get it to start again. It sputters like its trying, but wont catch and keep going.

I have made sure I have sparks on all 4 plugs. I put in spare plugs/points/coil/condenser from my parts box just to make sure with no change. Good blue spark on all 4 plugs. Set an old plug to 1/4" and get good blue spark on all 4 wires. I get good fuel flow at the bottom of the carb. When I try to start it I get the weak combustion with the choke pulled out. Then it acts like it floods a bit so I put the choke in and get another round of weak combustion. I can go back and forth like that all day but it never gets going smooth or strong.

I made a video but I don't think the sound is that great, I can try again if anyone thinks it would help. It sounds weaker in real life than in the video.

I'm def not a mechanic but can follow instructions pretty well. I have searched and tried anything I have come across so far with no luck. I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thank you

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started #2  
Check to see that the distributor advance weights aren't stuck. They are most likely under the plate with the points on it. I don't think there is a timing chain on these engines so that is not an issue. To me it sounds like the timing is off.

Another idea. What's the compression like?

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started #3  
I would check compression in each cylinder first off then check out things in the distributer for any issues there. After doing all that and wearing yourself out send it down the road. Next get yourself a KUBOTA.

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started #4  
mkreiter - We all like the foreign imports, most of them are pretty nice, I have one, but mine is Yellow. Only reason it wasn't a Kubota, was the dealer wanted to sell me what he wanted me to have, and not what I wanted. Nuff said, I also have an 8n. CUte little feller, burns gas, which I don't like, but It will do things in the garden that my big one wont. On top of that, it is a piece of American Heritage. Old Henry and is cohort Ferguson, put together a machine for the small farmer to be able to replace his one horse (or 2 horse team) plow. You could feed an N Ford cheaper than a horse, and accomplish more in a days work with a lot less effort than walking behind a plow! That simple little machine lasted from1939 until 1952 with only minor engineering changes, and now, at least 75 years later they are still working, in great demand, and I hOpe mine will lie on another 75 yrs for my great great grandkids to enjoy. Where will your Kubota be by then? DON'T KNOCK AMERICAN INGENUITY!!!!

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started #5  
Do a thumb check on each cyl for compression, not unheard of to hand a valve open.

( confirmed, no timing chain )

Your inability to take throttle cold is likely a slightly lean main needle setting.

Enrich the main and check her out with a can of start fluid.

Post back

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started #6  
Eye catcher, You are rite to a point what you say, I'm a retired auto worker from Chrysler 35years and farmed for 40 years in S.E. MO. around 800 ACRES at one time worked 23 hr.days many a time to all done and my dad started out with an 8n and 9n so you might say I know a little about them. Later they became two 861 powermaster fords and yes they where all good tractors for the most part and got the job done over time. later on we moved up with a 4000 diesel and then 2 7700 diesel tractors and they went through **** and yes thanks to good old AMERICAN know how they where some of the best in there time,later on I purchased a JOHN DEERE 4440 and that was the cat's meow. So yes American ingenuity was at one time the best. As we all know times change and so do products, nothing is the same today as yesterday was. I went to JOHN DEERE before the KUBOTA but for the value and money KUBOTA was my choice. Maybe that is why JOHN DEERE is offering $7500 over book for the other foreign tractors before JOHN DEERE and the rest of them go the way most AMERICA CO.'s have only time will tell and by the way I know of KUBOTA'S going over 20,000 hrs. and still going. As long as you never work your Ford 8N/2N out side the garden it may be around for ever as long as people like yourself believe in them.

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started
I tried starter fluid at the air intake of the carb. I also tried running a propane bottle open around to intake manifold to see if there was a leak somewhere. Both had no affect.

I went an got a compression tester. It read 77, 74, 72, 73 on cylinders 1->4. Which is low but is starting dry after having sat for a few weeks. I didn't do a wet test. Anyone think that is worth trying?

I"m not sure if I want to pull the carb apart again or pull the top off to see what the valves look like next.

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started #8  
I know you have some compression, but there looks like a lot of positive pressure coming out of the carb throat (looks like fuel spitting out). Put your hand over that thing and see if its pulling or pushing. Intermittent stuck valve? Recently mine got so flooded that it just refused to start until I really dried it out, with a torch.

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started #9  
I have an old gas Farmall that's in desperate need of an overhaul. When it gets cranked to much, the cylinders get washed down with gas and I end up having to squirt a shot of oil into each spark plug hole.

Seems to restore compression enough to get her fired up one more time.

/ Trouble Getting 8N Started
It finally wasn't raining today. I ran a wet test. Compression jumped to 92, 108, 87, 95. I also pulled off the valve/spring access covers. Everything is moving up and down like it should.

I put everything back together and noticed a small leak on the carb. The upper housing has a crack in it. So I guess its time to get a new carb. I'll try that next and see what it does.