Ford 3600 gas adding in-line fuel filter

/ Ford 3600 gas adding in-line fuel filter #1  

cnestor1

Tractor
Ford
I have a gas Ford 3600 which was my dad's. I had it running 2 years ago after I replaced the sed. bowl filter element (pricey) and replaced the original carburetor with one of those Zenith replacements. Last year I couldn't get it started. I am very motivated to get it running and keep it running now. I'm in Richmond, VA. Right now it cranks, fires (weakly) but doesn't keep running. Fair amount of black smoke early on.

Here's what I have done so far before I try to get it to run again. I have had a kit put in the carburetor. Replaced the spark plugs. The plug wires were new 2 years ago (but not the best fit I've ever seen. One of them kept popping off.) I drained the fuel tank, and am getting ready to install a Baldwin in-line fuel filter. People have been advising me to do this for years. I don't have any experience working with gas fuel lines and I want to do it right and safely. Don't want to burn myself. My research indicates that if only one filter is being installed, a primary, that it is usually placed on the suction side. There is a spot underneath the battery just above one of the spark plugs where a short section of flexible gas line tubing is spliced in. It looks to be about 4-5 inches long, maybe a wee bit too short for my filter, but close. This would be on the suction side. My question(s): Is this a good place to put it? What precautions should I take before I do the cut? What tool is best to make the cut? (pipe cutter like a plumber's copper pipe cutter?) Should I flare the ends before I put in the flexible tubing?

My experience is limited. But I think I can get this thing going with some persistence (and y'all's help). When she runs, she runs pretty good. Although, in the past even when my dad had it, if you cut it off and tried to start it again while it was warm it was stubborn or wouldn't restart while warm.

I will also be looking for help replacing the points and setting the timing. Should I be getting a replacement coil? Don't know how to troubleshoot some of this stuff. But I am patient (and determined).

Thanks for any and all advice,

Chris
Richmond, VA

Last edited:
   / Ford 3600 gas adding in-line fuel filter #2  
The tractor already has a screen in the tank outlet, a screen in the fuel pump, a screen in the sediment bowl and presumably a screen in the inlet fitting of the Zenith carb. Just about the last thing you need is an inline filter. Have you checked the screen in the fuel pump or checked the fuel pump functionality?

/ Ford 3600 gas adding in-line fuel filter #3  
Listen to RickB.
I just wrote this for another forum so I will C&P it here.

Your tractor has a fuel pump located on the top of the front timing cover.
See photo.
There are either 3 or 4 fuel filters on those depending on the year.
First is the screen in the shutoff valve at the bottom of the tank.
Second is in the top of the fuel pump. 3rd is a stack of star washers inside the sediment bowl, 4th (but not always) is in the brass nut that goes into the carb.
It was a good system but after 40+ years might be filled with debris, etc.
Your options are to go through the whole system piece by piece and clean everything. The fuel pump can be accessed by pulling the alternator off. Tight fit but doable. I have not had much luck cleaning the screen in the top of the fuel pump. The seal always leaks afterwards. So I just replace them - about $40.
Another option is to just bypass the original system. Put a small electric fuel pump on it. Fuel tap, to electric pump, to inline filter, to carb. My 4200 has been done that way but one of these days I will put it back to original as I don't really like seeing rubber fuel lines around a gas tractor.

100_09091.jpg

/ Ford 3600 gas adding in-line fuel filter
Thanks!

RickB: No, I haven't checked the fuel pump functionality. What method do you recommend to do that? Are you familiar enough with the gas 3600 to know whether I need to pull the radiator/shroud to get at the alternator and fuel pump? I'm pretty sure I need to do that to pull the lines if that's prescribed. But many folks are telling me if the lines are not leaking just blow air through them.

Ultradog: rubber fuel lines (esp. exposed but really anywhere) -- agree, with all the brush you're running through could pull a line loose really easy. Great point.

Thanks again for the perspective and helping move me along! Will shelve the inline filter idea for now.

Chris
Richmond, VA

/ Ford 3600 gas adding in-line fuel filter #5  
PS.. if you are getting a plug wire popping off, check to make sure the plug is sealing good!

Listen to RickB.
I just wrote this for another forum so I will C&P it here.

Your tractor has a fuel pump located on the top of the front timing cover.
See photo.
There are either 3 or 4 fuel filters on those depending on the year.
First is the screen in the shutoff valve at the bottom of the tank.
Second is in the top of the fuel pump. 3rd is a stack of star washers inside the sediment bowl, 4th (but not always) is in the brass nut that goes into the carb.
It was a good system but after 40+ years might be filled with debris, etc.
Your options are to go through the whole system piece by piece and clean everything. The fuel pump can be accessed by pulling the alternator off. Tight fit but doable. I have not had much luck cleaning the screen in the top of the fuel pump. The seal always leaks afterwards. So I just replace them - about $40.
Another option is to just bypass the original system. Put a small electric fuel pump on it. Fuel tap, to electric pump, to inline filter, to carb. My 4200 has been done that way but one of these days I will put it back to original as I don't really like seeing rubber fuel lines around a gas tractor.

100_09091.jpg

When you say you will put it back to original, do you mean you will change the lines to the electric fuel pump to metal? Or were you thinking along the lines of going back to a mechanical fuel pump with the original routing? Probably haven't thought about it that much. Just curious.

Chris
Richmond, VA

The tractor already has a screen in the tank outlet, a screen in the fuel pump, a screen in the sediment bowl and presumably a screen in the inlet fitting of the Zenith carb. Just about the last thing you need is an inline filter. Have you checked the screen in the fuel pump or checked the fuel pump functionality?

Can you give me an idea of how to check the fuel pump functionality? To give you an idea of how insecure I am thinking about how to do this, at the moment the distributor cap is off, carburetor is off, coil is disconnected. If I turn the engine over fuel should come spewing out the carburetor inlet, right? I'm not sure what a good flow would be. Or whether this is a good setup to check things.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Richmond, VA

/ Ford 3600 gas adding in-line fuel filter #8  
it's a low psi pump. it will either pump or not pump...

/ Ford 3600 gas adding in-line fuel filter #9  
Don't forget, the firing order is casted into the intake 1-2-3. #1 is at the front of the engine and it goes to #1 on the distributor. Counter clockwise to #2 from there.

/ Ford 3600 gas adding in-line fuel filter #10  
Yes I would put it back to original with all correct steel fuel lines and mechanical pump.
I have everything here from another tractor so it's just a matter of getting to it one of these days.
It was a good system. They are just kind of a PIA to go through but you only have to do it every 30 years or so.
Yes, you should be able to turn the engine over with the key and get a good flow from the line going to the carb. By good flow I mean a pint a minute or there abouts. I'm just guessing on that amount tho.
As I mentioned before I would just replace the pump. It's likely 40 years old. Might go for a long time yet or could fail tomorrow.