'63 ford 4000 lift issue

/ '63 ford 4000 lift issue #1  

Old Virginia Joe

Bronze Member
Tractor
'63 Ford 4000, '48 Massey Harris 30
My lift on the 63 ford 4000 is acting poorly. If I describe it, surely someone will recognize the symptoms? If I pull the handle up a little, nothing lifts, more, more, more, then when I get the handle almost all the way up, it finally starts to move, but then it goes way too high, and if I back the handle down a bit, the lift arms want to go all the way back down---no in-between. Wasn't doing doing this til recently. Any simple answers out there? Thanks!

/ '63 ford 4000 lift issue #2  
Check to see if the lever on the right side of the center section below the seat is setting horizontal for position or pointing down for draft.

/ '63 ford 4000 lift issue #3  
Check to see if the lever on the right side of the center section below the seat is setting horizontal for position or pointing down for draft.

And for use other than draft control it should be horizontal.

But I thought it was on the left side???

/ '63 ford 4000 lift issue #5  
And for use other than draft control it should be horizontal.

But I thought it was on the left side???

Right side, both the older seperated single levers and the later dual levers on the quadrant like the X600 series.

/ '63 ford 4000 lift issue
Well guys, I finally got to work with the tractor today, and as you all said, that simple lever took care of it. I had seen articles of when to use it one way or the other, but I never knew it was the distinction between variable lift and all-or-nothing lift. Problem solved. Thank you. I love this site!

/ '63 ford 4000 lift issue #7  
It's not so much variable lift or all or nothing lift.

It is position control ( what you call variable ), and draft control, which is actually a sensitivitty setting that is sensed by compression or lack therof on the toplink. when the pulled draft exceeds the lever setting, the lift will activate lifting the implement a bit.. IE.. if a plow is diving too deep or going thru too thick of material, then the lift will raise to maintain constant draft setting. On most draft hyds setups, lever all the way up is transport mode and makes the lift go all the way up.... thus it looks like all or nothing unless you are actually using a ground engaging implement like a plow.