Newbie needs info on FORD 4000- Injector pump issues on a FREE tractor?

/ Newbie needs info on FORD 4000- Injector pump issues on a FREE tractor? #1  

RUMBLON

Silver Member
Hi, I KNOW NOTHING about these tractors. I have a friend who has this tractor 450 miles from me that he has offered me for free. I just have to go get it. He said its at a tractor shop and they told him it has an injector pump issue and they want a ton to repair it. I figure its worth the 900 mile trip for the loader and implement? I am not sure of the year but its a FORD 4000 diesel. I need to see if its something I can work on, trying to learn.

RUMBLON

/ Newbie needs info on FORD 4000- Injector pump issues on a FREE tractor? #2  
It is a 4000 series tractor. Specifically, a 4500.
They were very rugged, reliable machines.
Any more it's almost cheaper to buy a new CAV clone injector pump off of Ebay or some such for around $700 rather than having one rebuilt.
They are quite simple to change.
What transmission does it have in it?
There were several options - Select O Speed, 6X4, 8X2, and a 4X4 with shuttle shift.
Seeing that box blade on the back means it has a 3 point hitch. Hard to say if it has a pto though.
Definately worth picking up, especially if it's free.

/ Newbie needs info on FORD 4000- Injector pump issues on a FREE tractor?
I have no idea which trans but I will find out. Is this rig big enough to pull a small swather and small baler? Do you have any info on which engine/ diesel would be in this rig by looking at it? and in looking from what I can find out, it suppose to weigh approx 3400 lbs. I am guessing that minus the loader. I have a car hauler and am hoping I can haul it with that?

RUMBLON

It is a 4000 series tractor. Specifically, a 4500.
They were very rugged, reliable machines.
Any more it's almost cheaper to buy a new CAV clone injector pump off of Ebay or some such for around $700 rather than having one rebuilt.
They are quite simple to change.
What transmission does it have in it?
There were several options - Select O Speed, 6X4, 8X2, and a 4X4 with shuttle shift.
Seeing that box blade on the back means it has a 3 point hitch. Hard to say if it has a pto though.
Definately worth picking up, especially if it's free.

Just talked to the owner, he says yes it has a PTO but he never used it. ULTRADOG, you said its not hard to change out ana injector pump? Does it require and specific tool? Im a hot rod guy and tractors are new to me, other than my little yanmar.

RUMBLON

/ Newbie needs info on FORD 4000- Injector pump issues on a FREE tractor? #7  
no special tools, but rather getting it timed. 3400# is a very light estimate, add a thousand, plus if it has loaded tires.

Engine? I would think a 192, but being a 3 cyl, they would all shoehorn in.. maybee lucky with a 201 (wink )

/ Newbie needs info on FORD 4000- Injector pump issues on a FREE tractor? #8  
That's a Gannon box blade on there. Those things are heavy built and tough. It's wide enough to cover rear tread width. Probably 72", so add another 1000 to 1100 lb.

Still definitely worth the trip.

That's a Gannon box blade on there. Those things are heavy built and tough. It's wide enough to cover rear tread width. Probably 72", so add another 1000 to 1100 lb.

Still definitely worth the trip.

so Im guessing my 5,000 car hauler wont cut it then.

RUMBLON

/ Newbie needs info on FORD 4000- Injector pump issues on a FREE tractor? #10  
considering a 5k car hauler probably weights what? 1500-1800# empty? leaving you a payload range of 3200-3500? I wouldn't laod anything bigger than a 3000 on one.. let alone a 4000, let alone a 4000 with laoder and box blade. At a MINIMUM you are looking at a 7k trailer, and preferably 18-20' and not a 16' so that you can distribute the weight. the problem with a 18-20' 7k trailer is that it goes up in base weight so you are still only at right at 5k maybee payload. So just ont he bare gritty edge, assuming no water in the tires. if tires are loaded ( and heavy box blade, and loader ), go to a 20' 10k trailer minimum, for safety.