Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders #1  

skylarkguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA
I really need to have the ps cylinders rebuilt on my naa. I'm having a hard time working out the right tool to accomplish this. The ball joint "pickle fork" isn't gonna cut it. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Also anyone hqve a good source or work around for these cylinders should they prove unfixable?

ForumRunner_20150706_180027.png

ForumRunner_20150706_175954.png

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders #2  
dunno.. looks like pickle fork work to me. worked on my 850... same setup.

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders
Thanks sg...i may just need a different fork...and a bigger hammer...

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders #4  
like ringo star says.. "it don't come easy"

yep.. some are harder to pound off than others.

I got lucky on mine.. it was so oily and greasy, not much COULD rust on the tractor. ;)

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders #5  
Thanks sg...i may just need a different fork...and a bigger hammer...

I've seen pickle forks bits made to fit in an air hammer that I have often thought would work much better than the hand-held, beat with a big hammer style, but I have yet to resort to needing it or buying one. However, if you have an air hammer, that would be what I'd try on a stubborn ball joint like that. I'm a big fan of air hammers and air tools in general to make work go easier, faster and smoother.

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders #6  
If you're just going to replace the packing,you don't have to remove them at all. You can use the PS cylinder's own hydraulic pressure to push the seals out and then slide on the new seals. You have to screw out the chrome shaft from the balljoint, but leave the balljoint bolted to the tie rod. Remove the snap ring on the packing and just loosen the clamp on the balljoint and screw the shaft out. Then turn your steering wheel EASILY and the pressure will push the seals right off.

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders #7  
Where the end goes through the arm smack the large boss with a hammer a few times

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders #8  
If you want to remove the ball joint from the tie rod,I have soaked it with PB blaster,run the nut out flush with the end of the stud(turn nut around on stud if it's castellated with flat side towards hammer), put a piece of steel with some weight to it on the other side of the tie rod and took a ball peen hammer and taped on the nut. Let the PB blaster stay on it for an hour or two before you take a hammer to it. The reason I say tap is you don't have enough room to do much else LOL. It has worked for me in the past. The reason I do this instead of using a fork is if you have a good rubber dust boot on the ball,the fork destroys them.

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders #9  
Where the end goes through the arm smack the large boss with a hammer a few times

I have used this approach successfully, only using the pickle fork to put the tie rod end under stretch (to preserve the boot), while whacking the tie rod end boss with a hand sledge sharply. The sledge impact slightly deforms the boss and releases the tie rod end taper.

/ Tool or proceedure to remove ps cylinders #10  
I've seen pickle forks bits made to fit in an air hammer that I have often thought would work much better than the hand-held, beat with a big hammer style, but I have yet to resort to needing it or buying one. However, if you have an air hammer, that would be what I'd try on a stubborn ball joint like that. I'm a big fan of air hammers and air tools in general to make work go easier, faster and smoother.

ditto.. love air hammers...