Help with noise and surging.

/ Help with noise and surging.
take a can of spray oil.. wd40 even.. or something like penetrant.. pb blaster. spray the crank pully aft at the timing cover... see if it makes a difference.

( no belt on of course... thus no water pump or charge device )

I'll try this tomorrow when my carb kit comes in....carb in pieces on a pie plate under tractor on garage floor........did I tell you a man I know is going to give me his 8n? It was refurbed with 40hours on it. It rolled down hill and smashed into a tree 24 months ago and bent the front axle and broke the center section mounting plate and casting at the drag link. I think I can get it fixed...I already know how to fix the front end and have a source for the axle. I'll just redux what I did on mine....he has no interest in it as he has too many projects and wanted it to go to a good home......will put it on farm until my other house projects get done. In about 8 months....you guys will have to school me on front mount dissy and other stuff unique to the 8N. Whoo hoo two old tractors.....like I don't have enough on my plate already ;-)

/ Help with noise and surging. #12  
Does it have an adjustment on the camshaft end clearance? Might a source of the sound.

/ Help with noise and surging.
take a can of spray oil.. wd40 even.. or something like penetrant.. pb blaster. spray the crank pully aft at the timing cover... see if it makes a difference.

( no belt on of course... thus no water pump or charge device )

Worked like a champ.....after about two applications and a lot of running.

/ Help with noise and surging. #14  
Use full diagnostic tool.. ;)