Ford 800, Which Carb??

/ Ford 800, Which Carb?? #1  

seth350

Tractor
55' Ford 800
Just recently acquired a Ford 800 and in the process of making it perfect-o...or so to say :dance1:

Been having issues with a lean miss at off idle-to high idle, and just a general loss of power after it warms up. I have two carbs here that I have tried out and neither one seems any better than the other, but I have been swapping one rebuild kit into both.

One carb is a TSX-765 (currently on the tractor) and the other is a TSX-593 (EAF-9510-E).

The only difference I can visually see is that in the throttle bore, there is an extra orifice on the 765 off to the side of the other main two. I believe they are the idle orifice and main orifice. The other, I think, is an economizer orifice from what I have seen on the net. However, there is not an economizer adjustment on the bottom of the bowl.

Anyone got an idea of which one would be best?
From what I am seeing the TSX-765 was for the 801 series.

/ Ford 800, Which Carb?? #2  
I know the 593 will fith 800/900

/ Ford 800, Which Carb??
Cool thanks soundguy, I wonder if there is any draw back to using the 765 with that extra orifice?

/ Ford 800, Which Carb?? #4  
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the top bolts in the carb fit the manifold. You will probably burn a bit more gas.

Kirk

/ Ford 800, Which Carb??
Everything fits perfectly, but it has the lean miss after warm up. Still need to check coil and spark once engine is warm. Just trying to rule out having the wrong carb. I have had the 765 on the tractor and running, but develops a lean miss after warm up.

Really hoping the 765 will work as it is the best condition of the two.

/ Ford 800, Which Carb?? #6  
It should.

Have you tried enriching it just a bit?

Or in other words.. does a hair of choke seem to help it?

/ Ford 800, Which Carb??
Thanks soundguy, yes I have enriched it screwed the idle mix screw out and in with no change. Choke does not help either.

/ Ford 800, Which Carb?? #8  
if choke does not help, it is not a lean issue more than likely.

Have you checked valves... you don't want them too tight...

how is timing too? advance working?

/ Ford 800, Which Carb??
Thanks soundguy, the valves were set to 15 cold. Timing is set to 5degrees, but only advances up to ~20. I rebuilt distributor as it was sloppy and the advance has some wear on the guide pins and slots. I cleaned and sanded them up to take the rough spots out and it seemingly worked fine. Greased it lightly with some non tacky grease I had.

/ Ford 800, Which Carb?? #10  
recheck valve clearance hot.