Finally got to use the new to me 881!

/ Finally got to use the new to me 881! #1  

Bensjamming

Tractor
Ford 881 Powermaster
Well it finally at it final destination, the cabin. Running like a champ so far. Only thing I've noticed is that the FEL seems to be jerky while lifting when it's over half way up and the rear blade always seems to be as far left when on the tractor as far as the limiter chain will allow. Not sure if it's from the plow being slightly bent up or if it's something with the 3 pt hitch itself. Other then that its seems really good. Thinking of just taking the FEL off since we have a turbo diesel skidsteer up already and with the narrow bucket as well as the added length it's much easier to just use that.

A question I have is how big of a disc should I be looking to get for this size tractor? Just have a half dozen small food plots to till up all about 2 acres or smaller. Also gonna be looking for or making a box blade but also unsure on the size of that I should be shooting for.

Overall even with that old light duty bent up blade it worked pretty good for leveling the driveway and the small section of trails I did with it although it definitely could use some more weight to it.

Any input or suggestions are welcome.

/ Finally got to use the new to me 881!

Here it is at its new home. Still haven't had a chance to hook up and try the bush hog but my be if I can get up there this coming weekend I can try it out. Was planning on it sunday but ended up taking up a good part of my day cutting up an 8 pointer we got that morning. Such a pain in the butt haha :)

/ Finally got to use the new to me 881! #3  
those machines easilly pull and lift a 6-6.5' dual ganged disc, and generally easilly pull an 8' drag/transport style disc.

/ Finally got to use the new to me 881! #4  
I agree with soundguy. The six footers are easier to buy and sell because they can be pulled with a lighter tractor. I have a 6.5 one and for food plots and working it in the woods it's a lot easier to get around on the trails and in the woods. Years ago I had an 8' disc and it was too hard to move around in tight areas so I sold it.

Kirk

/ Finally got to use the new to me 881! #5  
I agree with soundguy. The six footers are easier to buy and sell because they can be pulled with a lighter tractor. I have a 6.5 one and for food plots and working it in the woods it's a lot easier to get around on the trails and in the woods. Years ago I had an 8' disc and it was too hard to move around in tight areas so I sold it.

Kirk

agreed, even with transport wheels, them 8' are hard to turn around..

/ Finally got to use the new to me 881! #6  
   / Finally got to use the new to me 881!
Thanks for the replies guys, its appreciated. Our neighbor has a 8 foot JD 3 pt disc harrow we can use but after thinking more about it Im thinking once I get a box blade (thinking a 5 footer for easier time in the woods) that the little bit Id need a disc to tear up the food plots I could prob get away with just using the rippers on the BB and was thinking of trying to hook up to the 8ft disc and see if the tractor will handle it at all if I did want to use since we have permission to hook up and use it whenever we want too.

One other question I have been thinking about is how whenever I was using the rear blade it would always track as far right as the limiter chains would allow it too. Its close to the wheel but doesnt ever hit. Does it really hurt anything to have it constantly pulling off to one side like that? It bothers me for some reason so was thinking of getting/making a set of stabilizer bars for it. If I end up buying a pair would you all recommend an adjustable set like the turnbuckle style or sliding tubular style with the lynch pin? Not sure if the solid steel bar type have any drawbacks other then not being able to offset the implement some intentionally.

Any input or opinions would be more then welcome.

/ Finally got to use the new to me 881! #8  
I did make a mistake in my earlier post I said my box blade was 6.5 what I meant was 5.5 feet. And yes you can use your box blade with the scarifiers to rough up the ground for deer food plots. I use that or a dearborn field cultivator for the small food plots. A lot of the food plot stuff it just toss and grow with very little light raking or no raking at all.
I use flat non adjustable steel sway bars. Some of my trails are steep and it also keeps the implement from shifting the weight from side to side when in the raised position which can get pretty hairy on slick wet steep surfaces.

Kirk

/ Finally got to use the new to me 881! #9  
The flat stabilizers work good with these old tractors. I'd try to find some OEM stabilizers as they have far better metal in them than the cheap aftermarket ones do. If you can,it's best to use one on each side to keep from bending the one stabilizer.Here's a pic of OE stabilizers with the part number stamped on them. DSCN3942.JPGDSCN3941.JPG