Ford 5000 / 256CI engine rebuild questions

/ Ford 5000 / 256CI engine rebuild questions
So rick or soundguy, either of you two have a favorite shop manual for rebuilding an engine.

Dont need a step by step for dummies version. But something that has the important specs, torques, and timing stuff.

And kit preferences? Anyone use these guys? OHFD233D-EO - Overhaul Kit - 233 Engine - Diesel for Ford Tractors

Seem to be best prices by quite a bit. All-State-Ag-Parts is next cheapest at $100 MORE

/ Ford 5000 / 256CI engine rebuild questions #12  
I've got some manuals for my late 5000, parts for sure, let me see if I have the ford service, I may only have aftermarket.

Is it the IT service manual you have?

Sut trying to figure what one is gonna be best for my needs before I order.

Also, preference on rebuild kits? Gonna take the block, crank, head, and a rod in Thurs to the machine shop. They will measure on the spot and let me know what I need to order. So the sooner I can get a kit to get them the valves and pistons, the sooner they get it done.

/ Ford 5000 / 256CI engine rebuild questions #14  
The I&T manual will probably be adequate. The OEM manual can get a little carried away with special tools, etc, that may not be available on every street corner. As far as kits go, TISCO has always been good quality, but they were sold a couple years back and are now run by a bunch of bean counters that are rapidly destroying the company. I have heard VERY good things about kits made by Reliance and sold by HyCapacity and probably others. Many independent repair shops and OEM dealerships carry HyCapacity products. I sell HyCap but have no direct experience with their Ford engine kits.

High Quality Replacement Parts for Agricultural Equipment - Hy-Capacity

Thanks Rick. Will have to give them a call

I called abiline machine this morning to inquire as to the brand of the kit.

He asked if there was any brand in particular I was looking for as he could get anything I wanted, but said it dont matter what name comes on them because there is only 1 company/factory that makes the parts. (overseas ofcourse). This place makes all the kits for tisco, reliance advantage, and a few other he rattled off. Said there all identical no matter who I order from, or how much I pay.

they have free shipping thru noon tomorrow when they close. Gonna drop the block and crank off tomorrow, they will take measurements right then and tell me what pistons and bearing sizes to get, and I will have the order placed tomorrow by noon if all goes well.

/ Ford 5000 / 256CI engine rebuild questions #17  
I think I'd treat that information with a healthy dose of skepticism.

The kit is cheap, the shipping is free; I think your mind is made up.

I don't know what they sell and can't comment further than that.

I think I'd treat that information with a healthy dose of skepticism.

The kit is cheap, the shipping is free; I think your mind is made up.

I don't know what they sell and can't comment further than that.

they are all cheap kits in the grand scheme of things. Most expensive one I found was ~700 with valves. Abilenes kit to add valves brings the total to ~550. So they are all pretty close, and all made in china.

Looking forward to getting her running again:thumbsup:

/ Ford 5000 / 256CI engine rebuild questions #19  
Rick, What are your thoughts on Advantage brand kits?