8N Ford Will not start

/ 8N Ford Will not start #1  

BridgeBoy

Tractor
none
I am looking at a 1949 8N that the owner claims the only way it will start is by pull starting. He said it smokes and will start with starter after pull starting for the day. I kind of guess rings are bad. It looks to be in over all good shape as far as tires and paint. Comes with 6 ft. brush hog, 6 ft back blade and 5 ft. wide disc. He wants $2250 for it. What are your thoughts as to problem and rough cost that I might be looking at if I have to rebuild motor if things warrant rebuilding?

What would value of tractor alone be in said condition?

Thanks,

BridgeBoy

/ 8N Ford Will not start #2  
What are your plans for the tractor?

The 8N was a nice tractor 65 years ago, but is pretty primitive now.

Do a Craigslist search in your area and see what is available, prices and condition.

Bruce

/ 8N Ford Will not start
Mainly skid a few logs from my woods and brush hog roads that run through my property.

/ 8N Ford Will not start #4  
Mainly skid a few logs from my woods and brush hog roads that run through my property.

Buy a different tractor. That's my advice anyway. Depending on the build quality of those implements, they might be worth $1000 not much more than that, and likely much less. So you're looking at paying over $1000 for a non-starting 8n. In my book that's a bad deal.

First off, the 8n doesn't have live power or live hydraulics. This sucks when bush hogging because if you bog down (which you will, especially trying to use a 6' hog) you have to clutch, shift to neutral, declutch, raise the mower, clutch, shift into gear, and declutch to resume mowing. With live hydraulics, you can clutch to stop when bogged, lift the mower while your foot is on the clutch, and release the clutch when you're ready to go again. Big difference. Also, first gear on an N is way too fast. For not much more money than you're talking about, buy a 600, 800, 2000,3000, or 4000 series Ford. For skidding logs, do yourself and your loved ones a favor: buy a tractor with a roll bar and enough weight to skid a log without becoming unstable and unsafe.

Read this thread:http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ons/349917-input-shopping-older-mid-size.html

You could skip the years of frustration that this guy has experienced with his 8n by adding $1000 to your budget and starting off right.

That said, I've got a couple of 8ns for sale if anyone's interested...

/ 8N Ford Will not start #5  
Would not even consider it for what you have stated your uses to be for it.

/ 8N Ford Will not start #6  
Tractor would be worth ~$800 based on what you describe in my area.

Weather a good deal or not is gonna come down to the implements. Brand and condition.

6' bushhog could go for anywhere from $200-$1000+ depending on condition. Average light duty would be ~$300-$400. (and a 6' is TOO big.
6' blade ~$150
5' disc ~$350-$400

So call it ~$700-$800 in implements. I wouldnt pay more than $1500 for the setup unless the disc or bushhog were way better than I am picturing in my head.

But I agree with others. Not the right tractor for what you want.

Bushhog is too big, no live hydraulics, and transmission PTO make you bushhogging tasks not well suited.
8n is not good for skidding logs. Short wheelbase, no factory drawbar means pulling from the 3PH, etc etc.

/ 8N Ford Will not start #7  
Go find yourself a good used Massey 135, plenty of them around for 2k and up or less.

/ 8N Ford Will not start #8  
When you type it all out out the 8n sounds horrible. But it's the best there was in 1949. It will do the work but it does take some getting used to.

The not starting issue is the bad part. Who knows what's wrong and what it will take to fix. But if you don't have the budget for another 1000 this tractor can do a lot.

But he's right, no live hydraulic is a pain. When it bogs you have to be quick on the clutch. You'll also need an overrun clutch to keep the implement from pushing you forward. No biggie.

It will turn a 6ft but more suited to a 4ft bush hog. You might be able to trade someone.

It's easy to work on but getting oil pressure cold is hard. They are finicky. They're stink when running because of pure gas exhaust. If the alternator hasn't been converted they require 6v battery and generator and bulb IF there's a light.

But parts are easy to find.

I'd say the most important to consider is safety.

It will try to kill you.

There is only a neutral safety switch for starting. No other safety. You can get off while bush hogging. You can be thrown.

It won't stop going over a log if you can't get that clutch in. And it's tough when you're tipping backwards.
The runners are grabby on your boots. I don't think I could easily jump off of mine.

So I bought a new kioti. With ac.

Try your best to find something less than 30 yrs old.

/ 8N Ford Will not start #9  
I've had an 8N, and would hate to go back to it. About the only 8N work I've done that wouldn't annoy me a lot now would be pulling a ground-driven hay rake.

And I liked my old JD LA better for that. :)

Bruce

/ 8N Ford Will not start #10  
I've had an 8N, and would hate to go back to it. About the only 8N work I've done that wouldn't annoy me a lot now would be pulling a ground-driven hay rake.

And I liked my old JD LA better for that. :)

Bruce

Yep, a hay rake would be alright. Or if you had a nice shiny one, pulling a wagon in a parade.