Ford 8N Lift Arms Not Raising Completely

/ Ford 8N Lift Arms Not Raising Completely #1  

spukistiles

Tractor
Ford 8N
I have a 1950 Ford 8N. The three point hitch seems to have some problems. First off, I have changed the oil several times, but it becomes whitish like it has bubbles or something within a very short time (a day or so). Secondly, the lift arms have started to travel only halfway up. They sometimes go the rest of the way up at a very slow rate if there is no load to speak of. Third, I have to let the lift arms all the way down before I can raise them again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ Ford 8N Lift Arms Not Raising Completely
I just read that I need to remove the pipe plug under the rear differential. Da! That is probably holding moisture since it is the lowest point. Does anyone know if there should be a gasket on the fill plug?

/ Ford 8N Lift Arms Not Raising Completely #3  
the fill and drain bungs do have a gasket. you can make them out of paperboard and an xacto knife.

the pipe plug just gets pipe dope of choice.

I'd dump in a gallon of diesel and a couple pints of 90% rubbing alcohol and then do a few laps around the yard to let the mix get distributed well.

then drain.

now. the lift that sometimes goes up MAY magically be cured now that you will have gotten rid of emulsified oil hanging the control valves.

So refill it with clean oil.. if the lift does not start working correctly after that, then you will need to draint he oil into a clean pail for re-use and then pull the top cover and check a few things. cam follower pin being one of them. might also need to drop the pump.. but check the top cover first.

If you do take the pump out, I'd get a new relief valve, just because... and unless the pto seal is good, replace it too.