Apparent axle shaft oil leak on rear rims-why? Photos included.

/ Apparent axle shaft oil leak on rear rims-why? Photos included. #1  

tmac196

Silver Member
Tractor
1951 Ford 8N, 1965 Ford 2000, Grasshopper 325D, JD 5065M
Yesterday, I noticed the left rear rim of my 8N was stained with oil in a pattern which indicated (to me) that differential oil was leaking out of the hub area and has been for some time. I have enclosed two photos. One of the leak evidence and a second of the "hub". What is the source of this problem. Is it an axle shaft seal going bad? Is there more than one seal in the axle shaft/hub assembly?

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/tmac196/IMG_1881.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/tmac196/IMG_1882.jpg

/ Apparent axle shaft oil leak on rear rims-why? Photos included. #2  
Since you have a 51 model, there are 2 axle seals. Here's a link to a good rundown on doing the job:
Replacing Rear Axle Seals in 8N Ford Tractors

It's interesting that yours leaked all the way out to the end. Do the brakes work on that side? On mine, the seal failed and it leaked into the brake drum causing the brakes to stop working. It's not a difficult job. Also, make sure your differential fluid isn't over filled, as that could increase the chances of leakage. Here's some info on that:8N Axle seals replacement vs. quic... - Yesterday's Tractors

/ Apparent axle shaft oil leak on rear rims-why? Photos included. #3  
we need to see the hub fit to the axle.. if the splines are flush or proud, the hub and or the axle is worn.

/ Apparent axle shaft oil leak on rear rims-why? Photos included. #4  
Clogged vents will cause axle leaks. When pressure builds up inside the differential then fluid will find a way to escape.

/ Apparent axle shaft oil leak on rear rims-why? Photos included. #5  
Clogged vents will cause axle leaks. When pressure builds up inside the differential then fluid will find a way to escape.

shouldn't on this type of a ford...

static oil should be setting BELOW the seal level.

leaks like this on a ford are seals soooo bad that splash oozes thru.. and of course.. overfilled too..

plenty of places on this old ford common sump for gas to relieve.. no real 'vents' as such.. but the dipstick ain't air tight. :)

/ Apparent axle shaft oil leak on rear rims-why? Photos included.

It's interesting that yours leaked all the way out to the end. Do the brakes work on that side? On mine, the seal failed and it leaked into the brake drum causing the brakes to stop working. It's not a difficult job. Also, make sure your differential fluid isn't over filled, as that could increase the chances of leakage.

Indeed, the brakes do not work on that side. Thanks for the links. They are very helpful.

It is probably advisable to replace the 2 seals on each side if I'm going to do one side. I'll need to drain the sump and I should do that just once...

/ Apparent axle shaft oil leak on rear rims-why? Photos included. #7  
No need to drain the sump, the oil level should be below the axle seals. If the level is high enough to spill out the axle housing when you remove the axle, that's part of your problem right there: too much oil.

/ Apparent axle shaft oil leak on rear rims-why? Photos included.
No need to drain the sump, the oil level should be below the axle seals. If the level is high enough to spill out the axle housing when you remove the axle, that's part of your problem right there: too much oil.

Ahhh....makes sense. Thanks for all of the help.