Ford 860 with scissor lift?

/ Ford 860 with scissor lift? #1  

goatman860

Tractor
860 ford
I am needing to stack 500# bales with no loader 2 high. Has anybody used a 3pt scissor lift with a bale spear on an 800 series? It does have front wheel weights. No where to beg or borrow one to find out. Bad idea, or worth a shot?

Really fond of this old tractor.

Thanks

/ Ford 860 with scissor lift? #2  
Check the links that show up below this thread posts. There is a pretty good discussion even if short and "old".

/ Ford 860 with scissor lift?
Check the links that show up below this thread posts. There is a pretty good discussion even if short and "old".

Thank you. I had read the thread about the 3pt scissor lift before and it was helpful. Just looking for more specifics about lift capacity, and stability on an 860.

/ Ford 860 with scissor lift? #4  
I don't know about an 860, and not sure what the lift capacity is for my '65, 3 cyl. 2000. But, my uncle made me a scissor lift to do what you are thinking. Length was maybe 36" - 40". It didn't have enough hydraulics to lift my 500+# bales.

There is a way to calculate how much lift is lost, for every inch/foot the load is behind the lift arm point, but have no idea how to calculate. But I do know the lift force is reduced greatly.

I ended up modifying an old hydraulic pallet jack to 3 pt., and attached a bale spear to it. I ordered a larger diameter hyd. cylinder from Surplus Center. The pallet jack cylinder was only about 3/4", and the one from SC as 1-1/2". The original cylinder wasn't big enough to lift the bales, but it had no problem with the 1-1/2" bore one. Got by with it for 4-5 years, until I bought a Bobcat, and added a spear to it.

/ Ford 860 with scissor lift? #5  
I'd look for a rear forklift.

/ Ford 860 with scissor lift? #6  
Here is one: Tractor 3 Point Hitch Scissor High Lift, Hay Lift #3F, uses #3F Bale Spear

It does set the bale spear back a lot and would need a hydraulic top link between it and the spear to be able to level the spear, to back up and leave the bale stacked.

FC-Lift-SCISSORHL-LB3F-5.jpg

FC-Lift-SCISSORHL-LB3F-6.jpg

/ Ford 860 with scissor lift? #7  
Or maybe find someone with one of these to give you a hand.

Kirk

Attachments

• 100_2826.jpg
    100_2826.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 618
   / Ford 860 with scissor lift? #8  
I dont think the 860 has enough hydraulic power to do that with the 3PH.

In order to double stack bales, you need your 3PH to lift about 3x's higher than normal. That can be accomplished with the scissor mechanism as shown, but at a cost. To lift 3x's higher, you can only lift 1/3rd the weight.

A 860 was rated somewhere around 1200# lift capacity. So 1/3 of that and your at 400# capacity, take off the weight of the unit and bale spear......Unless your bales are 250-300# or less I dont think its going to work.

I agree with soundguy, look for a 3PH forklift. I have seen them in my area from time to time in the $400-$500 range

/ Ford 860 with scissor lift? #9  
I found a few pictures of the pallet jack I converted to make my bale lift. Lift capacity of the lift itself was 1,000 lbs, so felt it was suitable enough to lift the 580 lb bales my Deere baler makes. I already had dual remotes on it for the hydraulic top link. I kept the forks for it, and still use them occasionally.

If you can find a lighter 3 pt. forklift, as others have said, I'd go that way. Most I've seen around here were pretty heavy, made for 100 hp+ tractors. Or, if you're handy with a welder and can find a small junked forklift, get the mast from it, and make your own.

New Image 1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

/ Ford 860 with scissor lift? #10  
Bought this one at an auction, back when I had a tractor.

P3310010.JPG

P3310013.JPG

P3310015.JPG

P4210003.JPG