what did I buy?

/ what did I buy? #21  
Neat looking tractor. For some reason I love seeing vintage iron with their everyday clothes on. Good luck with the rebuild. AND the hip rebuild!

/ what did I buy? #22  
Agree with Kirk, can't troubleshoot the SOS without a running engine

/ what did I buy?
It will take a few weeks of healing on my new before I can go out the ranch and see if I can find anymore of the serial number.

Thanks for taking the time to look and I'll post with what I find.

The SOS wouldn't cause the motor to be locked would it.

/ what did I buy? #24  
I will never say never but it's likely that the lock up engine and SOS trans will be two different issues. A lot of times the trans has problems and the tractor get put aside and the engine locks up from sitting. Not to say this is your case. Best to find out any history when buying the tractor. Over the years I have one had one where I though the engine was locked up and when I pull the engine discovered that the auxiliary trans was rusted so bad it stop the engine from turning over by hand. Once the engine was pulled it spun over.

Kirk

/ what did I buy?
I will never say never but it's likely that the lock up engine and SOS trans will be two different issues.
Kirk

Agreed. That's probably the case.

I picked this one for scrap price because I could always use tires for the other tractors. When I started taking a look at it it occurred to me it was a diesel. My brother Broken-Arrow's daily use tractor is a 3910 diesel. Love it. Mine has been a late model 3000 gasser. Love the tractor but hate the gas. When I discovered the scrap tractor was a diesel that got me to thinking. Maybe for a little bit of fix up I could have a nice diesel at my place. I have zero experience with repairing a SOS and that bothers me. I can see the money flowing on this which is why I've brought it to you guys.

In a couple weeks I should be able to go out ad see if I can recover the serial numbers and get some transmission fluid in the cylinders. I've mixed that with acetone and it really. I have unstuck a few really stuck tractors with that stuff. It doesn't always work though, I have 3000 that's had the stuff in it for almost 2 years and nothing. That is another project for another day. I figured If I could get the diesel unstuck then any cost of the SOS would still keep me in the money and I'd have another nice classic Ford to use! We love our Fords.

/ what did I buy?
My brother just looked for the serial numbers and if they are under the battery on the left side on top of the FEL mount then they have rusted away or the battery acid ate them up.

He also checked for oil in the crankcase and radiator fluid and they were at least there. So that gives me a starting point as to why the engine is locked up. I'm in the process of asking him he's willing to put field in the cylinders.

/ what did I buy?
I was finally able to get out and take a good look at the serial number location and the number a code is gone. In fact the surface is rusted all the way down to the starter bolt.
I took a picture of the serial number plate on the fuel injector and another picture of the casting number on the block below the injector pump.

What's my hip has recovered I'll make a final decision is whether I'm going to tear that thing apart and figure out why the motors locked up. Thanks for looking and thanks for all the help fellas.