My new Ford 4000

/ My new Ford 4000
Couple of questions after working today. Based on the S/N # and model # i posted can you help me with the following questions.

1) I got the sheet metal off, and the gas tank removed. The previous owner had a length of rubber fuel line running from the tank to the sediment bowl. Assuming a real fuel line is best, I am trying to determine the correct part from the parts diagram. I am thinking part # 86580561. Don't see it a lot when I google it, it says for tractors after SN 126524, part #310918 says for before S/N 126525 which my tractor is and I see it is a lot more common. Not sure which is correct for my application.

2) With the SOS Speed transmission, it has the PTO handle that is pulled to engage the PTO. Right now the driveline is disengaged via the strap that is by the tranny dipstick. When the tractor runs the PTO shaft spins, should it spin at ALL if the lever is pushed all the way in? Should be spin at full speed if the handle is pulled out even when the tranny is disengaged? After additional research it sounds like it isn't uncommon, but I should be able to press a 2x4 on the PTO to stop the spinning if it isn't actually powered....still have the question IF it SHOULD be able to spin under power with the tranny disengaged and the handle pulled out

3) The tractor doesnt seem to have the "inching pedal" i have read about the on the inter webs and in the manual. Rather it has what it appears to be a clutch with a full range of motion (10-11")

Good news is that after replacing the plugs that the tractor starts without the use of starting fluid. I will be moving on to some wiring concerns. Thanks is advance.

Kurt

/ My new Ford 4000 #12  
Here is a photo of my 871 inching pedal. Yours should be similar. Possibly someone replaced it with something else. Post a photo if you can.
Yes the PTO will spin when lever for driveline is disengaged. You are disengaging the trans to rear not the pto.
I never cared for ford's gas line routing through the manifold I run a steel line from the tank towards the front of the engine bend into come around over the alt/genny, sometimes will add rubber hose, and easy access shut off. If I remember correctly some of the earlier lines were 1/4 and some were 3/8 depending on the carb/manifold you have.

Kirk

Attachments

• 100_4101.jpg
    100_4101.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 835
   / My new Ford 4000 #13  
Here is a photo of my 871 inching pedal. Yours should be similar. Possibly someone replaced it with something else. Post a photo if you can.
Yes the PTO will spin when lever for driveline is disengaged. You are disengaging the trans to rear not the pto.
I never cared for ford's gas line routing through the manifold I run a steel line from the tank towards the front of the engine bend into come around over the alt/genny, sometimes will add rubber hose, and easy access shut off. If I remember correctly some of the earlier lines were 1/4 and some were 3/8 depending on the carb/manifold you have.

Kirk

same fuel line routing I use as well.

/ My new Ford 4000
OK,

Here is a picture of what I have....IMG_3824.jpg

So you bend your own fuel lines? I can appreciate that, but that really isn't something I can pull off. I just need to determine the correct part # for my rig.

/ My new Ford 4000 #15  
I traded a old running Ford Taurus for a non running, '64 4000 with the four cyl. diesel and SOS, LCG (Low Center of Gravity) orchard tractor, I think. I wound up rebuilding the engine, put in used torque plate (these can go away and you can't buy new) put on all new tires, new brakes, new fenders, new exhaust system, new front axle pivot bushings and sleeve, and new paint. Where I finally drew the line was a local diesel pump rebuilder wanted $850 to rebuild the fuel pump. Sold the tractor instead. I didn't break even but now at least, I not throwing money down a pit. If they break the PTO cable and the transimission cables probably won't be found new. Oh, yeah, change the transmission oil right off the bat. and make sure she shifts thru all ten gears and both reverses. I did like the low speed 1st gear for tilling. bjr

/ My new Ford 4000 #16  
OK,

Here is a picture of what I have....View attachment 475680

So you bend your own fuel lines? I can appreciate that, but that really isn't something I can pull off. I just need to determine the correct part # for my rig.

rolling your own fuel line is easier than typing it.

You buy premade brake line at a store like napa for a few bucks. already has flare and ends on it. buy a piece as long or a hair longer than you need. ( if it's too long, you can just get creative to make it take up more length in some of the bends.

The tool to bend brake line is just sheet metal and a small supporting cup, usually the tool will bend a couple sizes of tube.. and they are cheap from cheap tool stores.

You can also hit those cheap tool stores and buy a flare kit that has a tube cutter, bender, flare block and press, reamer, etc for not much $

Depening on the application it may be possible to do a multi part line, some rubber, some metal. all depends on what/when/where/.

Really.. No joke. The line I made up for my 950 from a piece of straight line with ends at napa took less time to bend than typing this message... really... the line is soft and bends easy.. just use the radius tool to bend it...

/ My new Ford 4000
rolling your own fuel line is easier than typing it.

You buy premade brake line at a store like napa for a few bucks. already has flare and ends on it. buy a piece as long or a hair longer than you need. ( if it's too long, you can just get creative to make it take up more length in some of the bends.

The tool to bend brake line is just sheet metal and a small supporting cup, usually the tool will bend a couple sizes of tube.. and they are cheap from cheap tool stores.

You can also hit those cheap tool stores and buy a flare kit that has a tube cutter, bender, flare block and press, reamer, etc for not much $

Depening on the application it may be possible to do a multi part line, some rubber, some metal. all depends on what/when/where/.

Really.. No joke. The line I made up for my 950 from a piece of straight line with ends at napa took less time to bend than typing this message... really... the line is soft and bends easy.. just use the radius tool to bend it...

OK, I can get a pretty cheap tool at Harbor Freight image_18464.jpg and pre-made tube from Napa.

/ My new Ford 4000 #18  
you can get them cheaper than that tool as well. indeed, just a couple bucks for a sheet metal one with a track or 2 for 1/4 and 5/16 tube and a small and large radius bend.

/ My new Ford 4000
Any ideas on my clutch/inching pedal? Feel very little if any resistance when I press it down

/ My new Ford 4000 #20  
For unknown reasons I'm guessing the inch pedal was replaced with a standard pedal. Maybe the inching pedal fell off?