My new Ford 4000

/ My new Ford 4000 #1  

kuschneider

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 4000
Here is a 1963 Ford 4000 S-o-S. My buddy and I are getting this from a co-worker of his in exchange for some labor around her place, and possibly a little cash. We were at $650 for the tractor, brush hog, and blade. Then she started listing stuff she would like us to do in exchange, so the out of pocket expense keeps going down, which is good.

Here is what we know.

Hasn't run in several years
Has a 6V generator, but a 12V ignition coil, and 12 v battery from walmart
Oil was full, dirty, but no sign of water
Radiator has clear, green coolant.
Was gas in tank, needs to be removed and cleaned
Got sediment bowl off and cleaned. Screen, gaskets on the way
Rebuild kit for carb on the way.
Going to need an air cleaner

Serial Number is 23450
Model 41105

Tires are pretty rough, but hold air
Sheet metal has a lot of rust, gonna be a bear to get off to remove tank.

I have an external gas tank that I threw together to test with to get it running.

Look forward to getting in back in action and working. I have a small place, 20 acres, that I hunt on, and the tractor will be use mainly for brush hogging, discing, and general tasks around the place.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3676.JPG
    IMG_3676.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 318
   / My new Ford 4000 #2  
Disconnect lever located on the round plate next to the hydraulic dip stick. Unbolt the lever flip it around and move it to disengage the trans from the rear. You might have to rock the tire while trying to move the lever. Dragging the tractor in park could cause damage to the trans.
Good luck with your new tractor.

/ My new Ford 4000
Kirk,

Luckily I got my hands on an operators manual and I had read it before we moved it home. We had to get it down a steep hill from where is was sitting to my trailer. I was able disengage the tranny and load her up.

thanks

/ My new Ford 4000
Hot D@mn she runs! Cleaned the plugs, set the gap on the points, rebuilt the carb and a little starter fluid and it fired off. The lift arm raised and held position even when the engine was off, and the PTO engaged when the knob was pulled.

Needs some wiring for sure, oil change, other fluids replaced, new hose, gas tank reconditioned. Good news is that we cleared some hurdles today.

/ My new Ford 4000 #5  
Always nice to hear them pop and fire up after they have been sitting a while. Good job

Kirk

/ My new Ford 4000
OK, after some reading I think I got the sheet metal removing figured out. We need to take the two large phillips head bolts out where the side panels attach the the dash cowling. See Pic

Then the two bolts inside that are basically behind the air cleaner, these also attach the the top hood panels to the center console/dash/cowling thingy.

Then the 8 bolts that run around the bottom of the dog legs, and in front of the grill? Also being away of anything attached to the hood assembling before lifting it off so as to not screw more stuff up?

IMG_3799.JPGIMG_3800.JPGIMG_3801.JPG

/ My new Ford 4000 #7  
Congrats!!!

At $650 she's a bargain!!!

/ My new Ford 4000 #9  
You don't have to take the 4 bolts off in the front under the grill to get the sheet metal off only the 2 bolts each side at the bottom of the doglegs.

Kirk

/ My new Ford 4000 #10  
Great price!!!