FORD 8N

/ FORD 8N #1  

berts75

Tractor
FORD 8N
I have a Ford 8N tractor that will not start, no fuel to the plugs, good spark. It has a 12 volt system. It was running well when it just quit. I checked the intake manifold it's clear and does not seem to have any leaks. Overhauled carburetor still no fuel to the plugs. I have seen a lot of other people with the same problem on the Internet, I have not heard of any fixes. Thank you.

/ FORD 8N
Thanks Jeff but no help.

/ FORD 8N #4  
Do you have a fuel sediment bowl under the tank? If so, remove the fitting and line that goes to the carburetor at the fuel bowl and open the valve at the sediment bowl. You should have a stream of gas flushing out the port. If you don't, there's a 99.9% you have a clogged up gas tank. So, remove the whole fuel sediment bowl from the tank and see what happens. If no gas come out, you either have a empty tank or it's really stopped up. Run a wire up the hole and if what happens.

/ FORD 8N #6  
berts75, When you find the problem of no fuel and when you get it fixed, buy you a fuel shutoff valve like I have on my '49 8N. Like the one in the photo. I think I paid roughly $32.00 and it is wired up to the ignition switch so when you turn the key off the valve closes and you don't have to worry about any fuel getting to the carburetor and in the engine.

/ FORD 8N #7  
Thats what that knob on the glass bowl head does :)

/ FORD 8N #8  
True, that would be if all those many thousands N owners who have forgot to turn off the infamous "knob" to prevent the fuel from flooding the carburetor. But, I also have a remedy for that... A key switch with a light and a "BUZZER" to tell me I somehow forgot the key is left on.

/ FORD 8N
Thank you all, I will tell you what I have done first new fuel tank new fuel valve, new fuel filter new fuel lines, new carburetor, new plugs new points to a condenser. I have plenty of fuel to the carburetor and I have got good spark too all cylinders, and good compression. When trying to start I use the Manual choke, then hand choke till gas runs out of carburetor still no start. Check the spark plugs and the plugs are all dry. Does this help more with the problem. Thank you for any help you can come up with.

/ FORD 8N #10  
There's a difference between good spark and what is needed to fire up the engine. So, you say you have good spark and good compression, but, you also mentioned the spark plugs are not wet, and they should be with all that gas being pumped to them. With no fuel to the cylinders, that falls back on carburetion settings and air mixture settings...rich or lean. The carburetor float setting looks like the culprit...not set correctly, allowing the float needle to remain closed due to the float is set wrong.

Get on the Internet and google Step-by-Step Carburetor Overhaul by Don Stewart. . You may get it here.. http//www.ytmag.com/articles/restore/8ncarb/artint231_pg1.htm