I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas

/ I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas #1  

klink

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 660,JD 4110 Hydro - JD 670 gear - 48 Farmall Cub - 51 Farmall H - John Deere 50 - JD X540 JD X580 AC 917 WH 81 Cub Cadet 1541 & 70
I use a Ford 660 tractor for club tractor rides and I would like to temporarily tie rear brake pedals together whenever I am on the road. I was wondering if anyone has done this before, so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Thank you in advance. Klink

/ I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas #2  
Like this?

image-3757456831.jpg

All of my tractors have a lever behind the brake pedals to lock them together.

/ I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas #3  
Better to leave them along and be aware of where you place your foot to catch both pedals. Then you can use your ankle to balance braking action of each wheel.
Otherwise you have to perfectly balance the braking action on those crappy old drum brakes. Not easy, and won't last when you do.

/ I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas
RickB I understand what you're saying, but in my personal experience, when in a quick reaction situation I tend to hit the [RH pedal-Left wheel brake] instead of stepping on both of the brake pedals. I can not be factual on this, but I think this is the reaction of most old Ford tractor drivers [that is to hit the inside pedal instead of pushing foot down on both pedals at same time. As a kid years ago, My dad had a 960 ford with same brake pedal setup and I had the same problem of hitting the inside brake pedal in emergency situations. Maybe I'm the only one with this problem. BTW I like your Quote

/ I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas #5  
I would just fabricate brackets to fit over and under both pedals and bolt it on with a bolt between the pedals.

/ I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas #6  
Just get and keep the brakes balanced equally or you will create a bigger problem than you are trying to solve. Good luck.

/ I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas #7  
You can add a piece of steel that flips over when you want to use both together and flips back for separate use when you don't need it like on my farmall cubs. I know one of your pedels are angled, not straight across for one another but it still can be done. You will probably have to grind part of the hump under the pedal to made it flat. Another option may be to add a barrel bolt lock like on the later ford square nose tractors. I don't have anything past '65 so I can't help you with a photo.

Kirk

Attachments

• 100_4476.JPG
    100_4476.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
  • 100_4477.JPG
    100_4477.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 101
   / I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas #8  
I grew up with a Jubilee and a 600 and I don't think you can do what you want to do. it would be easy to tie the pedals together but you will still be hitting only one brake according to what side is adjusted highest. Those tractors had one week link and the brakes are it. Ed

/ I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas
Thanks Guys I think the concensus is to leave well enough alone. I will have to reprogram my brain a little, so as to hit in the middle of the two pedals
Thanks again
klink

/ I want to tie the rear brake pedals together on a Ford 660 & need ideas #10  
Can you drill a hole in the two pedal "arms" and bolt them together (if side-by-side)?