Barn find '40

/ Barn find '40 #1  

Kirk-NJ

Gold Member
I picked up this nice '40 from 90 year old, original owner. Spent it's life on a Christmas tree farm in NJ. Came with one bottom ferguson plow and offbrand disc harrow and manuals and original title/bill of sale. Still has the smooth hubs and 4 spoke steering wheel. It ran about 4 years or so. I got it running but don't have time to fool with it now. Screwed up the MCL in my knee and got to finish filling the wood shed before the winter. Hopefully get back to it before winter sets in.

Kirk

Attachments

• 100_4544_zpsapstdbdd.jpg
    100_4544_zpsapstdbdd.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 339
   / Barn find '40 #2  
Good to see you given yesterday iron another chance.

/ Barn find '40 #3  
Great find. Please keep us up to date with pics along the way. It will be great for show once restored.

/ Barn find '40 #5  
Memories....
I purchased that same model Ferguson tractor including a 2 bottom plow, 8' disk, and a 2 row cultivator from an elderly aunt back in 1970 for the unheard of sum of $500.00. Used the tractor for brobably 5 years before upgrading to newer iron. Great little tractor.
B. John

/ Barn find '40
I hit it with the powerwasher with some degreaser just to knock some of the dirt/drips off. Don't know if I will repaint it. The patina on it is Great. Light rust but no rust thru. Always kept inside.
Knee seem to be getting better, back to docs on Friday.
Switched out the carb and dizzy and hot wired 12 Volt to coil and got it started briefly. Everything is rusty on the tractor so hard to get a good solid ground. I know I shouldn't have even fooled with it but I just had to hear it pop. Now I've got to get back to work filling the wood shed.
Here is a photo of 90 year old Nick Loveless and his son the day I picked it up and Nick on the tractor in 1943

Attachments

• 100_4542.JPG
    100_4542.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 291
  • 28a1c460-df4d-4ce9-ba9f-fc4ef774d343_zpsownh2jit.jpg
    28a1c460-df4d-4ce9-ba9f-fc4ef774d343_zpsownh2jit.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 211
   / Barn find '40 #7  
May the history continue on. :thumbsup:

/ Barn find '40 #9  
I agree with Rick don't paint that thing. It looks way too good in it's work clothes. If you did paint I wouldn't do anything other than a flat clear coat.