new and need help

/ new and need help #1  

tractor stupid

Tractor
Ford 3000 C1013c
Im new to this site but i really need some help. I am mechanical inclined but this is my first tractor and i am kinda not sure what to do about the following problem. I purchased a 72 model ford 3000 several months ago used. I have not had any problems with it till about two months ago. It would not charge the battery. well i have checked and replaced the voltage regulator but when i plugged the arm wire into the voltage regulator i got a spark as if there was a short. I did some research and found that the system might need to be polarized so i jumped field to battery. I have changed the entire wiring harness both front and rear and now with the tractor running i still don't get but 11.8 volts at battery. i have tractor running at about 1500 rpm. When i shut tractor down the generator starts smoking from inside and i can hear it sizzle inside. I have disconnected both the arm wire and field wire from gen until i can get some help with what is going on. this gen has the tack driven from the end of the gen so i need to keep that. Any help that is legit will be greatly appreciated

/ new and need help #2  
You might try a PM to Soundguy, he is the Ford guru on TBN, he might have responded if your title contained Ford in it.

/ new and need help #3  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum tractor. Glad you decided to join with us.

I think you are a little harsh on yourself with you name. We all started out the same way at one time and you will learn a lot from the people here.

/ new and need help
thanks i may change it later but right know i feel kinda stupid. hopefully i can get some help here pretty quick got some bush hogging i need to do but can't get it done with a no charging tractor.

/ new and need help #5  
thanks i may change it later but right know i feel kinda stupid. hopefully i can get some help here pretty quick got some bush hogging i need to do but can't get it done with a no charging tractor.

Maybe if would be a good idea and you'd be money ahead to pull the generator and have it redone at a local generator/alternator/starter shop. It usually doesn't cost much to have them redone.

/ new and need help #6  
I replied to your PM, but here is a test you can do on the generator.

1, Lucas gets a pretty bad rap.. and mostly deserves it. :)

2, Lucas generators are not as robust as ford generators, but they aren't totally junk.. If you keep them at their lowe average intended output.. they work. Lucas regulators on the other hand.. ARE junk. ;) Sometimes you can open them and clean them, dress points, etc.. but many times they are junk. Many times I have taken a 12v regulator for a 59-65 diesel ford, and direct wired it up to a 65+ generator to make it work.. just have to keep amps in mind and limit them to 20 manually.

3, Lets test that generator. Get some test wires with clips and appropriate spade ends to hook tot he generator.. maybee some jump cables and a battery... OK to test in place as well.

4, slip belt off gen.. make sure gen is firmly mounted and thus grounded to chassis. hookup arm to battery hot. If the gen is in top shape, it will probably try to slowly / weakly spin at this point. If so, continue observing while you connect the field to bat hot as well. At this point the generator should spin pretty good now. If no change in spin, or no spinning, it is possible you have an open field or armature, or partially shorted field.

You can check field with an ohm meter .. no wires hooked up, ohm from field tab to ground.. should be a very low ohm leading.. but not 0.

If it doesn't pass this motor test, you have generator problems.

/ new and need help #7  
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum.

:tractor: I'm going to move your thread over to our Ford section.

/ new and need help #8  
Great Name, sorry I didn't think to use that, first time tractor owning can make me feel pretty dumb some day's, good luck.