Model and year help.

/ Model and year help. #1  

Ssd1987

Tractor
Ford
I recently inherited an old ford tractor from my grandfather and I'd like to begin restoring it. I am having trouble finding the year and model of the tractor and nobody in the family seems to remember either.

I found the serial number on the left side of the motor and have cleaned it up to bare metal but I still can't make out what it says. I've tried the pencil trick, the chalk trick and a flashlight in different angles with no success. Any help will be greatly appreciated. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

/ Model and year help. #2  
Also try taking pictures of the serial number with a phone from different angles.

/ Model and year help. #3  
It is an 8N. If you cant ID the engine its no real big deal. The casting numbers will help in narrowing the year model. With those older Fords they were used and often abused and pieced back together more often than not. They were truly ground breaking in every sense of the word it ushered in the automation age to agricultural world. I can still hear in my mind my Great Grandpa saying just how much more work he could get done with his 9N. Image what he would be saying today with 4 wheel drive grapples and on and on

/ Model and year help. #4  
Yep, 8n.

Dont really need to know the year. 8n,s were made from 47-52

In 1950, they went from front mount distributor to side mount. Thats about the only different that is relevant, as you need to know that for tune-up purposes

/ Model and year help.
Thanks for all of your help! Looking forward to this project.

/ Model and year help. #6  
Thanks for all of your help! Looking forward to this project.

A quick way to tell is the 8n had the 4 speed and floorboards. 9n and 2N had the 3 speed and foot pegs. 8n brake pedals together on one side. 9n and 2N were split with one pedal on each side of transmission case.
9n and 2N differences were slight. The 9n had I beam radius arms but the 2N had round radius arms. Mostly. All 9n and some 2Ns had I beams prior to 1944.

BUT as mentioned earlier, the tractors were very popular. The parts interchanged. And they were hodgepodged together with whatever was available as the farmers repaired them.

(I'm working on a 47 2N as I can)

/ Model and year help. #7  
It has parts on it for '49 and '50. Look on the front side of the axle trumpets for a date code. Also near the starter on the engine will be a production date code tag above the raised 8N or 8NB
My guess from the photos would a 1950

Kirk

/ Model and year help. #8  
My dad has an 8n and has said he can get most any part for it at TSC. I haven't checked that myself. Probably means you walk in and they can order any part. He is old school .. No internet.

/ Model and year help. #9  
Steven's Tractor is a great source for 9N/2N/8N parts. Stevens has produced assembly/disassembly and rebuild videos:

9N, 2N, 8N - Ford 1939 - 1964 - Parts

I do not want to discourage you from your project. But keep in mind that beautifully restored 8Ns command only modest resale prices, $3,000 to $4,000 tops.

The 9N/2N/8N date from 1938. Due to WW2 and steel allocations, the design never evolved. Tractor technology, both in terms of function (4-WD, power steering, 3-range transaxles, diesel engines) and SAFETY evolved rapidly after 1955, when Harry Ferguson's patents on the Three Point Hitch expired and all materials became fully available. That was 60 years ago.

Last edited:
   / Model and year help. #10  
Steven's Tractor is a great source for 9N/2N/8N parts. Stevens has produced assembly/disassembly and rebuild videos:

9N, 2N, 8N - Ford 1939 - 1964 - Parts

I do not want to discourage you from your project. But keep in mind that restored 8Ns command only modest resale prices, perhaps, $3,000 to $4,000.

Yes to this. I would be very hesitant to sink more than 2000 total into one for working or resale reasons. Labor within reason I call free if I do it as I enjoy it.
There are tractors out there that are a lot more versatile after being brought back to life for comparable prices.