CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ???

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #21  
So me, and thousands of other posts online are all wrong saying an 8n is just geared way too fast. As are several other tractors.

I have never tilled faster than 1-1.5 mph. Just don't work going 3mph.

What I would consider "normal" is about 200 rpm at the rotor.

What tractor? And what tillers do you have? Perhaps you have more than 540 pto speed?

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #22  
I don't believe my 8n could run a tiller thru my soil, But than again I never tried. I've heard of guys making light passes to get the job done. I have used a howard rotovator and a dearborn Tillit behind my '46 2n which works well for tilling but it does have a step down sherman (which I don't engage for tilling) and a howard trans, which doesn't affect the pto. With model day tillers it might require a little more getting on and off the tractor for disconnect and connecting the tiller because the pto has to spinning to get the hydraulic to be working. Rototilling is good for some people but hooking my old style tillers is a real pain. I real enjoy spending my seat time plowing and discing but than I'm retired and not in a hurry to get things done.
I would think if you already have the tiller you can give it a shot but if you don't I would try to rent one before buying something that won't work well.

Kirk

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #23  
REALLY?? I till commercially, and 90% of the tillage I do is at 2.75 MPH... I guess I've been doing it all wrong, over all of the "years" I've been at it...

Please don't tell all of my REPEAT customers! They might want their money back! lol

SR

At 2.75 MPH, what is your PTO RPM? 540?

If so, SR, you wanna buy my other 8n? I'll give you a good deal...

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #24  
First of all, I never made a comment about an 8N.

Secondly, I only answered to the fact that "you are going too fast when tilling at 2.8 MPH".

Thirdly, I don't care if anyone wants to pound their soil into dust, destroying their soil structure. BUT, to say that's the proper way to till, is just showing your ignorance!

Lastly, your ground speed should be determined by what kind of soil you are tilling, what was the last crop growing in THAT soil, and what is the "soil moisture" when you are tilling, AND "exactly" what my customers wants to "end up with".

THEN I set my tiller and ground speed for --------------> THOSE conditions....

BTW, all three of my tillers are run at 540 RPM...

SR

Last edited:
   / CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #25  
First of all, I never made a comment about an 8N.

Secondly, I only answered to the fact that "you are going too fast when tilling at 2.8 MPH".

Thirdly, I don't care if anyone wants to pound their soil into dust, destroying their soil structure. BUT, to say that's the proper way to till, is just showing your ignorance!

Lastly, your ground speed should be determined by what kind of soil you are tilling, what was the last crop growing in THAT soil, and what is the "soil moisture" when you are tilling, AND "exactly" what my customers wants to "end up with".

THEN I set my tiller and ground speed for --------------> THOSE conditions....

BTW, all three of my tillers are run at 540 RPM...

SR

I agree about some stuff you just said. You didn't badge a comment about an 8N, but you made a comment (that was rude, BTW) in a discussion about 8ns. That directly addressed the speed an 8n can till at. So in that context, even though you didn't say 8n, that's what we understood you to be talking about (again, rudely...).

Thanks for answering me, though about the PTO RPM. We're pretty close by each other, the offer for the 8n is still on the table. Sounds like it might work for you. Doesn't work for me. I haven't tilled a thousand acres, but I've put in my share of cover crop and broken turf for vegetable growing. I can say with authority that in my soil and in my neighbor's soils a tiller running at 540 RPM going 2.75 MPH doesn't penetrate enough to break sod. Can one do it with multiple passes or after a primary tillage method? Sure, but one can also just slow down with the tiller. Just my experience and two cents.

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #26  
My comment about 8N's has never changed, like my farmer buddy always said about them... "they ARE good for chasing cows"... ha ha ha

Is that rude enough for you??

SR

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #27  
My comment about 8N's has never changed, like my farmer buddy always said about them... "they ARE good for chasing cows"... ha ha ha

SR

Rob you could avoid the confrontation by posting pics of your tractors, tillers and the end result along with your dialogue. :)

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #28  

SR

You could never offend me by saying something disparaging about a Ford 8N. I agree, basically useless. Personally, i wouldn't even want to chase cows with one; it sounds dangerous. They'll pull a little firewood wagon okay, though. On flat ground. As long as you don't need reverse...

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #29  
Rob you could avoid the confrontation by posting pics of your tractors, tillers and the end result along with your dialogue. :)

You, of course, are right Richard, but we both know SR doesn't want to avoid the confrontation. It's kinda his thing, isn't it?

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #30  
You, of course, are right Richard, but we both know SR doesn't want to avoid the confrontation. It's kinda his thing, isn't it?

Totally. Used to be a member on TBN like Rob. Was his name "LBrown" or something like that?? Sole purpose in posting was to disrupt the conversation. I accepted his posts in the same manner as I do Rob's. Pure entertainment. :)