NAA won't start-

/ NAA won't start- #1  

philv

Tractor
naa jubilee
RE NAA Ford. I am not getting a spark--but have power to and back to the coil. I have replaced all electrical parts, except for the the distributor. While the gap is set at 27-it does not appear the voltage is broken when points separate. i.e.-continous voltage at the negative coil wire. any thoughts// tkx philv
Also--I am using a non-resister Coil-as I believe the NAA does not have a resister like my 8N had. Is this correct? tkx again philv

/ NAA won't start- #2  
:welcome: Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our vintage Ford section to see if we can find you an answer.

/ NAA won't start- #3  
Points should make and break a connection as the engine is turned over. Remove the distributor wire from the coil. Put a test light on Ignition wire to coil (you don't need to disconnect you just need a hot wire). Connect the other side of the test light to the wire to the distributor. Turn on the key and turn the engine over. The light should blink. If it stays on you have a short to ground between he coil and the insulated contact on the points. Look especially at the insulator where the wire enters the distributor. If the light doesn't come on your points aren't making contact. Try filing or replacing. Consider changing to electronic points. Hope this helps.

/ NAA won't start- #4  
RE NAA Ford. I am not getting a spark--but have power to and back to the coil. I have replaced all electrical parts, except for the the distributor. While the gap is set at 27-it does not appear the voltage is broken when points separate. i.e.-continous voltage at the negative coil wire. any thoughts// tkx philv
Also--I am using a non-resister Coil-as I believe the NAA does not have a resister like my 8N had. Is this correct? tkx again philv

I'm sure some of this made sense to you when you typed it.. but none of it made any sense to me.

"power to and back from the coil?" what?

you have a wire from the ignition key to the coil primary small terminal, the other primary small terminal then runs to the distribuitor to a small feed thru insulated terminal ont he side, this goes to the moving side of the points. the closed side of the points is ground. ( condensor is across open and close side of points. ). When you turn on the key, and the points are open, you should read voltage at the moving side of the points. when the points close, you are charging the field, when the points open, you have spark discharge.

Points should be set at .025 ( same as plugs ).. not set to " 27 "

I'm not sure how you are using your meter or test light, or if you know how to use it.. but .. check at feed thru conductor on the side of the distribuitor. points closed it should read nothing.. points open it should read battery volts.

Resistor? If you are using a true, native 12v coil, such as a napa IC14SB, you don't need any resistors. Only front mount ford 8N used ressitors on 6v, side mount 8n's did not use resistors.

Now start over and explain your observations. This 'power to and from coil' strikes me as a very odd way to describe something, and may be a clue that it is hooked up wrong.

/ NAA won't start- #6  
Philv made that one post then no more.. guess he didn't really want to work on his tractor?