Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested

/ Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested #1  

rod330

Bronze Member
An acquaintance, who admittedly knows little about tractors, is looking to sell his Ford 641. He told me it had a Sherman transmission and live PTO. I told him the 641 didn't have live PTO from the factory but I don't know if there was an aftermarket or dealer installed option. I'd use this with a LandPride RCR2560 brush hog. This is a medium duty unit weighing slightly more than 900 pounds. I wouldn't hesitate to use a lighter duty 5' rotary cutter but wondering if my LP is too much weight for a 641. Also, I know I can add an overunning clutch if it does not have a live PTO but I'd think the Sherman would be very helpful keeping the mower at a reasonable speed to handle my LP. I won't be cutting heavy growth or saplings, mostly 40 acres of old pasture with 3- 4' of weeds.

I've attached a link to a lot of photos and hope somebody can tell us if it has a Sherman transmission and/or live PTO. Lastly, what would be a reasonable price? There's no fluid leaks, brakes and rear hydraulics are fine, new rear tires but it will need one new front tire. Thanks in advance!

Flickr

/ Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested #2  
They will want more than it's worth just for the paint job.

/ Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested #3  
I could be mistaken, however I don't see the sherman lever on your acquaintance's tractor like this 641 of ours has.

sherman OU.JPG

Click on that image to open it up.

/ Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested #4  
I could be mistaken, however I don't see the sherman lever on your acquaintance's tractor like this 641 of ours has.

View attachment 504090

Click on that image to open it up.

Agreed. That's not like any Sherman I've seen. I have read about another transmission option that was more rare than the Sherman - I believe it was called a "Hupp" or something like that. The extra lever next to the PTO lever is something that I am not familiar with. Whatever that is, I don't think it is a Sherman and I don't think it is live PTO either. My best guess is that lever is an independent PTO option. This is just a guess, because I have never seen one in real life.

/ Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested

Yes, I agree, the 641 I looked at does not have that lever. My friend believed the second, shorter lever near the PTO lever was for the Sherman. I wonder if there were any other aftermarket transmission vendors....he claimed it was factory original but didn't have any supporting documentation.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested #6  
They will want more than it's worth just for the paint job.

That's a good possibility, but what is it really worth?

I see hundred series Fords on CL all the time in the 2-3k range. Most will have all the typical issues: worn out front end and steering, transmission full of water, cracked or worn tires, rusted rims, running on 3 cylinders etc.. If you can verify that this tractor is in really good condition, you would be saving your self a lot of parts and labor to pay up for it, in my opinion. These are good, simple tractors that have great aftermarket parts availability (except whatever is going on with the transmission on that one). Even by today's standards, these are very practical utility tractors.

As for brush hogging, you will have a hard time keeping the front end on the ground unless you add ballast to the front. I use my 841 for "light" brush hogging or fields, and it works great with the Sherman in high. If I have heavy brush hogging to do such as land clearing, I always go for my 860 (live pto) or the 4610, (independent pto). It would be really tough going without the ability to stop the tractor motion without the brush hog shutting down too.

/ Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested #7  
Agreed. That's not like any Sherman I've seen. I have read about another transmission option that was more rare than the Sherman - I believe it was called a "Hupp" or something like that. The extra lever next to the PTO lever is something that I am not familiar with. Whatever that is, I don't think it is a Sherman and I don't think it is live PTO either. My best guess is that lever is an independent PTO option. This is just a guess, because I have never seen one in real life.

Could be a Howard stepdown aux transmission. They were mounted behind the transmission so as not to change the PTO gearing. There was another brand of the same design, but the name escapes me now. Either unit is desirable, and will add significant value to the tractor. It will NOT provide live or independent PTO however.

/ Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested #8  
It's a howard aux trans. It can slow the tractor down without slowing the PTO speed down. It does not have live pto. They were are dealer option and not factory installed. In all my years dealing with the earlier howard trans for the N tractor the one in the 641 and it would be a far superior trans than the earlier one. I believe it was a planetary gears instead of straight cut. gears. Because it's rare it would, if operates as it should, would add an easily $1500 to an already nice looking tractor.

Kirk

/ Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested #9  
I'm learning a lot, and it is a nice looking tractor, one you want to use in a parade.

/ Ford 641- Sherman Transmission and Live PTO? Advice Requested
It's a howard aux trans. It can slow the tractor down without slowing the PTO speed down. It does not have live pto. They were are dealer option and not factory installed. In all my years dealing with the earlier howard trans for the N tractor the one in the 641 and it would be a far superior trans than the earlier one. I believe it was a planetary gears instead of straight cut. gears. Because it's rare it would, if operates as it should, would add an easily $1500 to an already nice looking tractor.

Kirk

Kirk, thanks so much for validating this! Based on your comments, do you think this tractor would be satisfactory for brush hog work?