Ford 861worth fooling with?

/ Ford 861worth fooling with? #1  

tbzep

Bronze Member
Tractor
1948 Farmall Cub, 1952 Ford 8N, 1962 Ford 861 (sold), 2015 Mahindra 3550, 2017 Gravely ZT HD 52
Is there any value above scrap metal for a Ford 861 that's been sitting for two years? It's power steering leaked and the engine smoked and was getting weaker when I last ran it. It's obviously well worn and the sheet metal isn't great. Just wondering if it's worth trying to advertise and sell rather than letting the local salvage guy come pick it up.

/ Ford 861worth fooling with? #2  
Is there any value above scrap metal for a Ford 861 that's been sitting for two years? It's power steering leaked and the engine smoked and was getting weaker when I last ran it. It's obviously well worn and the sheet metal isn't great. Just wondering if it's worth trying to advertise and sell rather than letting the local salvage guy come pick it up.
Well, I probably prejudice, but the 861 is my favorite model Ford tractor (got an 861D). It may be worth $300 or so as scrape metal. If you can get it running, maybe worth a couple thousand to an interested buyer, or part it out. I'd love to have the power steering off of it on mine.
1-24-16_MOVING SNOW  (3).JPG

/ Ford 861worth fooling with? #3  
Even if it is in rough shape, it would be a shame to scrap it. Let someone else use the parts to keep some other 800s running! I bet it would be a quick sell in the 500 - 700 range. If the engine is smoking and the sheet metal is beat, you will have a hard time getting anything over 1000 IMO.

/ Ford 861worth fooling with? #4  
I agree $500/$700 cause the 861 has the live pto. Calling the scrap guy and your lucky if you get a couple hundred for it.

Kirk

/ Ford 861worth fooling with?
Thanks. If any of you (any forum member) wants to come get it, I'll stay at the bottom of your assessment and buy you dinner. Looks like ya'll are too far away, though. I'll give it a while then list it on Craigslist and various forums.

/ Ford 861worth fooling with? #6  

Advertise it and try to sell it to someone wanting the tractor rather than the scrap yard. I am positive someone within driving distance of you is right now looking for one.

Scrap here in Missouri is currently $90 per ton. That tractor won't weigh 2 ton. So less than $180 to a scrapper. Bummer......

I'm 6 hours driving time from the Western end of Tennessee. Where are you??

/ Ford 861worth fooling with? #7  
I just sold a Jub today, a non runner, fair tires and tin. Ran 5 years ago, missing carb and grill for $500 on CL. I put $500 FIRM and sold it in two days. Decide want you want and list it for a firm price or you'll have people offering peanuts.
Tenn too far for me and I'm trying to sell and not buy. Would like to get down to maybe 10 tractors. Easier to maintain and give me a little more space around here.

Kirk

/ Ford 861worth fooling with? #8  
TN is a pretty wide state :) Where bouts are you located?? I may can help you out

/ Ford 861worth fooling with? #9  
agreed, sell cheap, and get more than scrap, and someone gets a good starter project.