New Tractor owner

/ New Tractor owner #1  

FOMOGONE

Tractor
Ford 601
I have just purchased a 1958 Ford 601 Workmaster. I am looking to learn and improve my Tractor. It has new Goodyear tires, a 5 speed and has been converted to a 172. Need to replace a couple of items and rebuild/repair some others. I placed an order for several things this morning. First and foremost I ordered a parts manual, a shop manual and an operators manual. As far as parts I ordered a friction washer for the lift handle, a carb kit and a new gas tank petcock.

On the list is new battery and cables along with a new coil and complete tune up. It has been converted to a key start and I am going to convert it back to the push button start. Probably end up replacing the wiring just for the sake of safety. Its pretty tattered...

Its a use it but slowly improve it project. Fix one thing at a time and fix it right. Wont have to address it again. First fuel leaks, electrical and then mechanical.

I had an 2N 20 plus years ago and sold it before I even used it. I have always like the Jubilee style and finally got one.

Doug

/ New Tractor owner #3  
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

:tractor: I'm going to move your thread over to our Ford section.

/ New Tractor owner #4  
Welcome to the Forum!!
Those are great machine and for the most part easy to work on and economical to repair. You will find help here for most any issue that will come up with your machine.

/ New Tractor owner #5  
The 601 is one of the best little tractors I have around the farm, especially the ones with powersteering. EZ on the gas but enough power to get the job done. Far better than the 2n and Jub. You won't be sorry you got this one. If you model is a 661 then even better.
With the fuel Valve I've had a couple of leaker from TSC new right out of the box. Sure they'll take them back and replace them but with my big hand it's hard get them in and out. If a replacement tank is needed I would suggest a NNA tank cause they use a sediment bowl system much like the 8n tractor.
I've never really been a big fan of the way the fuel line runs thru the exhaust manifold so when replacing lines I'll run them around the front of the engine and add a shut off valve. Even if you get a good valve for under the tank it seem as though with the constant opening and closing they only last a year or two before they start leak not to mention they a pain to get to with a screwdriver.
Let us know your progress.
Good luck with your new tractor.

Kirk

/ New Tractor owner #6  
Congratulations on the 1958 Ford and welcome. I got your bigger brother a 1958 861D, and they are my favorite models of old Fords. Pics please?

/ New Tractor owner #7  
so you have a 651 with a 172 ci engine. You ALMOST have an 851, save the hd axles and rear.

I would keep your wheel weights rated for the 6xx axles, but you will be able to get extra pto power out of her as the pto shaft is the same for 8xx/6xx. So in other words, she will roll thru weeds and drag a mower thru stuff like an 851, but only plow like a 651, as you will runb out of axle, rear end and weight / traction quicker than engine. Just keep that in mind.

You can also run a generator or water pump head as if she were an 8xx vs the 6xx.. again.. pto is the same.