Leaking fuel tank repair

/ Leaking fuel tank repair #1  

skylarkguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA
My NAA has developed a fairly significant fuel leak. I have the tank out and it looks as if the leak derives from under the bracket near the front of the tank....which is welded to the tank.

I'm not sure of the correct approach on this. Removing the bracket will be a challenge i think and i'm not super excited about coatings....thoughts?

1497624307837.jpg

/ Leaking fuel tank repair #2  
Looks like it's spot welded on.

Can you weld? If so, this isn't a big deal. Get a spot weld cutter like this or this, but not this, and drill out the welds. Repair the holes, replace. Done.

Of course I'm assuming you know how to safely weld on a fuel tank.

I can't see any JB Weld type repair working on this, given the location.

/ Leaking fuel tank repair
Thanks for those links to spot weld cutters...those are neat. I can weld but don't believe i have the proficiency for this project. ...there is a lot of conflicting advice on welding tanks online...there is one guy left in my area who likely can fix it...but i don't have a cost estimate yet.

/ Leaking fuel tank repair #4  
Use the new JB for fuel. The people who can not fix it make the newspaper.

/ Leaking fuel tank repair #5  
Thanks for those links to spot weld cutters...those are neat.

Yeah, they are slick. The one I said NOT to get has just a spring loaded pointed center to keep it from wandering, and it fails frequently, which usually results in a broken cutter. You want something with a proper pilot bit, or at least some kind of center with some BEEF to it.

/ Leaking fuel tank repair #6  
Can you weld ? Have you ever patched a gas tank ? Let us hear your brilliant solution to this problem .Your posts rank in the 12 yr. old , romper room dialog . Have a good day .

/ Leaking fuel tank repair #7  
Can you weld ? Have you ever patched a gas tank ? Let us hear your brilliant solution to this problem .Your posts rank in the 12 yr. old , romper room dialog . Have a good day .

Was that addressed to me? You might want to learn how to use the QUOTE feature. It's found on most forums for good reasons.

If you think a gas tank can't be welded, I sure won't try to convince you otherwise. I'll just laugh at you and go my way.

/ Leaking fuel tank repair
Thanks all for the suggestions. My wife came out to the garage and specifically asked that i do not attempt this repair. Apparently she still likes having me around. Given the length of the to do list I'll risk farming this one out...depending on the cost i guess.

/ Leaking fuel tank repair #10  
yup.. either line the tank or replace.

if it leaks in one place.. it has other leaks on the way.

the fuel tank liners are ok if you have the patience and follow cleaning and treating directions EXACTLY.