ford 860 loader & axle ?'s

/ ford 860 loader & axle ?'s #1  

goatman860

Tractor
860 ford
I just picked up up a wagner loader for my 860. I believe it is a power loader, but am unsure of the model and specs.

The backstory-

My 860 had a loader on it in a previous life, so the 10 spline adapter is still mounted on the crank pully. The center axle was also cracked/welded decades ago towards the left side assembly.

My first problem is when I pulled the bumper off and looked through the pin assembly where the pump driveshaft would go. The adapter plate is sitting lower than the opening, not allowing the shaft a straight shot to the future pump location. So much in fact that I could not even slide the shaft into the crank pully adapter plate to test fit.

Looking at the tractor manual the only thing I can think of is the bushing is shot, or the pin or support assembly is bent or crooked?

I believe I have a non threaded pin assembly looking at the picture in the manual. When taking the bolt out of the bottom of it it just twisted off with no force as well.

While I would like to restore this tractor someday, it is my sole workhorse for now, and I dont know if this loader is even viable.

Any advise would be great for the loader info, missalignment of the axle assembly, what the likely culprit is, and what has to be done. Also if needed, how to pull the pin assembly. The manual just says use a slide hammer with a suitable adapter.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    788.2 KB · Views: 244
  • thumbnail_IMG_2692.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2692.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 196
  • thumbnail_IMG_2689.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2689.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 197
  • thumbnail_IMG_2695.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2695.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 248
   / ford 860 loader & axle ?'s #3  
agreed.. check that bushing.. it may even be cutting into the axle.

/ ford 860 loader & axle ?'s
I removed the axle pin and center axle while the support was still mounted on the tractor. Came out MUCH easier than expected.

The axle bushing was worn, while the pin looked undamaged. It appears though that the support was a threaded one that somebody pressed in the older style pin assembly.

The first race is egged out slightly at 12 oclock while the other race that was threaded has worn the threads smooth over the years in spots. This allows the pin to wobble up and down no doubt contributing to the alignment issue.

It still does not look like the spline adapter on the pully is centered through the support hole with the pin out. Better, but still looks low.

the 4 bolts that mount the support to engine block are tight, and it looks like there is no adjustment there.

I'm guessing my 2 choices are having this support machined, or find another? If the pin hole is supposed to be pretty well centered I assume the support is also bent, and a replacement would be a better idea?

Attachments

• thumbnail_0628171101-00.jpg
    thumbnail_0628171101-00.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 176
  • thumbnail_0628171102-00.jpg
    thumbnail_0628171102-00.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 353
  • thumbnail_0628171103-00.jpg
    thumbnail_0628171103-00.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 136
   / ford 860 loader & axle ?'s #5  
does the bolster look like it had a repair plate welded in? hard to tell from my cell phone screen.

does the bolster look like it had a repair plate welded in? hard to tell from my cell phone screen.

Forgive my ignorance, I dont know what a good support is supposed to look like.

On the ear closest to the crank pully with the pivot pin hole that has/had been threaded, there is a weld all around the circumference, but there is no plate added. Just the bead, which I don't think is original, but I dont know.

/ ford 860 loader & axle ?'s #7  
Search for some bolster pics online. Any 6xx or 8xx will be the same

Search for some bolster pics online. Any 6xx or 8xx will be the same

There is no plate welded on. Just a bead welded around the formally threaded portion for the pin.

Ive got a old replacement axle coming, new axle bushing, and threaded pin and flange coming. I'm not sure what to do about the support though. It doesn't look like they are readily available.

/ ford 860 loader & axle ?'s #9  
bolsters come up for sale from time to time.