What did YOU do to your tractor today?

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today? #1  

gemutlich

Silver Member
Tractor
1940 JD/B; 1947 Case VAC-12; 1955 Case VAC-14; 1958 Ford 641; 1959 Wheel Horse RJ & 1976 Wheel Horse C-120 Hydro; Schwinn Predator with a squeaky pedal ...
I'm totally stealin' this idea from another forum, but whatever! I, and I'm sure other TBN users, wanna know what YOU did to your Vintage Ford Tractor today.

Work it? Work on it? Soup it up? Give us the low down.

:wrench: :hammer: :bandaid: :thumbsup:

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today?
Though not technically the tractor, removed the rear shield from the 90I/901 brush hog which was dented up pretty bad apparently from having been backed into stuff over its' life. Beat up bad enough so the thing would barely raise or lower.

Hammered it flat and squared the corners back up.

New hardware, greased up the ears, bolted it back together and VIOLA! Functioning rear shield that lifts easily and drops back down under its' own weight.

Before:

IMG_1217.JPG

After:

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

While I was at it, right side skid shoe was wasted so I removed it along with the left side skid shoe:

IMG_1239.JPG

Those may have been original, "narrow" shoes.

Poking around, found OEM replacements from Messicks who had the narrow shoes as well as wide shoes with curved sides so as not to carve up a more finished lawn if the mower is riding the shoes while making a turn.

Ordered a pair of the wide shoes.

New Holland (91-SERIES) - FORD 6" ROTARY CUTTERS (1/62-12/79) Parts Diagrams

While I was lighting my money on fire, the front shields on the mower were gone, probably hung on a nail some years ago and forgotten. Had thought about cutting up an old flat belt to secure along the front but...

Ordered up the chain style shield kit for the front instead:

New Holland (91-SERIES) - FORD 6" ROTARY CUTTERS (1/62-12/79) Parts Diagrams

Stuff should be in later this coming week.

With 20 bucks left in my pocket, jumped on ebay and found an original manual for the mower. That'll be here next week too.

As far as the tractor itself goes, I just a couple days ago replaced the long ago broken proofmeter cable, as well as the plug wires, distributer cap, and rotor.

Dang I'm having a heckuva time locating the original 3 horizontal bar front bumper correct for the 641. If anyone has a line on one - either new or used, please let me know.

601 801 correct front bumper.jpg

I understand that's the one we should have.

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today? #3  
I walked around mine today, thats as good as it got.

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today? #5  
I want to restore my dads 8n some day. Its in awful shape, most would say dont bother.

Wellsir, I can almost hear my Dads voice saying the same thing a number of years back - fortunately he was alive to see whatever it was at the time brought back to life. Now so many years later, just the thought of his smile would be enough for me to stubbornly move ahead with what he'd surely say "don't bother" with.

Each day we put off moving toward that end, is a day we're depriving ourselves of our own smiles. :)

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today? #7  
Wellsir, I can almost hear my Dads voice saying the same thing a number of years back - fortunately he was alive to see whatever it was at the time brought back to life. Now so many years later, just the thought of his smile would be enough for me to stubbornly move ahead with what he'd surely say "don't bother" with.

Each day we put off moving toward that end, is a day we're depriving ourselves of our own smiles. :)
He also has my grandfathers 9n (his dads), which is in a little better shape. But not currently running.

Glad yours got to see it running, what a smile that must have been.

/ What did YOU do to your tractor today? #8  
Mowed my few acre lawn with the '41 9n Yesterday, stated to pull smooth axles off a '40 to use my '39 when I got a call for a buddy who was doing something stupid and wrapped his 601 around a tree screwed up the radiator and axle carrier, didn't get hurt but needed a tow back to his garage. Good thing I've got the parts he need to get him back going. All this and my wife said how come you didn't get the new porch lights up. Maybe today, but really would rather work on old iron anyway.

Attachments

• 100_4882_zps8vrcjjay.jpg
    100_4882_zps8vrcjjay.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 266
   / What did YOU do to your tractor today? #9  
"Dang I'm having a heckuva time locating the original 3 horizontal bar front bumper correct for the 641. If anyone has a line on one - either new or used, please let me know"

The correct bumpers for your tractor are getting harder to find and when you do find them they are usually bent up. Something to keep in mind when looking for this bumper is that they also made the same style bumper for the later square nose model. It is wider than the earlier model to accommodate the wider square nose tin and the bar spacing between the top and middle bar was wider. The reason for the wide space between the bars was so you couldn't mount the pillow weights on the top. Even though the bumper is wider you can still mount it on you 601, as seen mounted on my 4000, but it's not the right one for the tractor.

Kirk

Attachments

• e67c450c-e2b5-421e-8c09-ae94630bb7e6_zpsbmi73pft[1].jpg
    e67c450c-e2b5-421e-8c09-ae94630bb7e6_zpsbmi73pft[1].jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_1966_zps43a4322d.jpg
    100_1966_zps43a4322d.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 242
...Glad yours got to see it running, what a smile that must have been.

That 1940 JD B in my avatar was the first brand-new tractor my Grandfather bought, and set my Dad upon when he was only 5. Dad couldn't reach the pedals, of course, but Grandpa put him up on there just to drive the thing down the row in low 1st at barely an idle while Grandpa picked.

Still have that tractor, both Grandpa (who died this past Christmas at 101years old) and Dad got to see me and my now 28 year old Son putt around on it back when he was 5.

That was a good 4 generations moment for sure.

Kirk, way to go on the mow and coming to your buds' aid. Hurts to imagine what he was doing to wrap a tractor around a tree, unless it just got away from him and rolled.

Laughing about the front porch lights, we haven't had even a fixture out there for 15 years or more... Wife has given up on that one, lol

Exhaust pipes are due to arrive today, hoping to get those on and get some pics up.