Might be joining the vintage Ford club

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
Going to look at an 8N in the morning. It's a project tractor the owner bought new valves, pulled the head, then gave up on. Hopefully it won't be terminal. Had to make a run to Harbor Freight to get a winch for my trailer.

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club #2  
Good Luck! :horseshoe:

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club #3  
I had a '49 for 15 years. Good little tractor and almost as easy to keep running as a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower. Good luck.

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club #4  
Nothing quite like an old tractor rescue mission to get the spirits up!

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club #5  
Going to look at an 8N in the morning. It's a project tractor the owner bought new valves, pulled the head, then gave up on. Hopefully it won't be terminal. Had to make a run to Harbor Freight to get a winch for my trailer.

how did it go did you get the new toy?

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club
how did it go did you get the new toy?

Was a long day and just got cleaned up.

1950 8N with a loader. May end up needing a total rebuild but I will have to clean the cylinders up and look closer. He had the head bolted on loose and a tarp over it but the cylinders look kind of rusty. I feel some crud on #1 but he had greased them so till I get it all cleaned out I won't know. I was about to walk and he said make offer so I loaded it up. Steering feels pretty tight and the brakes work. Also had a new carb but I didn't get the manifold fasteners and I didn't look to see if I got the governor linkage. He couldn't find the hydraulic pump but he said it was shot and not worth rebuilding. All the loader hoses have been replaced except the one to the tank. All in all I think it was worth a grand. He said if/when he finds more stuff he will bring it to me. Wife invited him over for dinner. ;)

00b0b_g3Zh9Y4iEzK_1200x900.jpg

00i0i_f08ehRNWcs5_1200x900.jpg

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club #7  
Heck, I don't think you did bad at all! The rims, wheels, and tires look in good enough shape to be worth almost that themselves!

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club
Heck, I don't think you did bad at all! The rims, wheels, and tires look in good enough shape to be worth almost that themselves!

They were obviously replaced at it's last refresh but have some minor cracking. Didn't help he left them sitting flat in the sand. I suspect they will be okay. The rears are loaded so I hope the rims are okay. I didn't let any of the wet stuff out to see if it was just water or what.

It has a big *** hunk of iron on the back for a counter weight. I am going to pull the loader and the counter weight then roll it in the garage for closer inspection. He gave me a set of new exhaust valves and a head gasket with it. I may drop the pan and see if I can get away with rings and bearings in the frame. If have to pull it and have it bored I think it will still be worth it.

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club #9  
He said if/when he finds more stuff he will bring it to me. Wife invited him over for dinner. ;)

Nice gesture, that will pay dividends for sure.

Noticed that counterweight. - Bet it has a 'story'. I hope you keep it.

Keep us updated. :drink:

/ Might be joining the vintage Ford club #10  
I'm rarely buying old 9n/2n/8n for resale anymore cause that aren't bringing much these days but you did good in your purchase cause if the howard trans is in good condition it's worth a grand. That's what I sell the howards for and have no trouble finding buyers. shipping a bit of a pain because they have to be packed so well but that's at buyer expense.
Good luck with your new tractor.

Kirk