No Spark on 1949 Ford 8N

/ No Spark on 1949 Ford 8N
I reset the points, and it tried to start, but didn't. A strong smell of gas at that point, so I let it sit for a few hours. I had a few minutes, so I went out and tried to start it again, and it fired right up. It ran for a few minutes and died as if I had turned off the key. Yes, I had the fuel on. I tried a few more times to start it, no luck. I didn't have time to use the ohm meter on it yet. I probably won't get out there again until late tomorrow or Friday sometime.

/ No Spark on 1949 Ford 8N #22  
Hahaha, of course. Am I checking the hot wire going into the coil?

Check from top post to pigtail, coil in hand, no wires connected, Rx1 setting.

/ No Spark on 1949 Ford 8N #23  
At point of stall, check spark, if no spark, hotwire coil top directly from bat hot, retest. If runs, your fault is in the primary curcuit

Thanks for the instructions Soundguy. It'll be late tomorrow or Friday before I can get back to it.

/ No Spark on 1949 Ford 8N #25  
No problem. Good luck.

/ No Spark on 1949 Ford 8N #26  
Another way I used to check the coil and points is with distributor cap off, coil wire placed near block, screwdriver in the points and pry open and close the points and see if a spark jumps from the coil wire. Last time I messed with points was 25 years ago on a 59 6 cylinder GMC, one of the best things that motors have improved on.

/ No Spark on 1949 Ford 8N #27  
That won't work on a front mount ford.

:(

Too many cooks in this kitchen that have -0- experience on the machine being worked on.

/ No Spark on 1949 Ford 8N #28  
That won't work on a front mount ford.

:(

Too many cooks in this kitchen that have -0- experience on the machine being worked on.

We'll you wont have to worry about me putting potatoes in the soup, I'm out of here and your on my ignore list, your welcome, and keep your snob attitude down Florida

I will no longer be updating this thread. If you are following, or commenting on my Ford 8N issue, you still can on the Parts/Repairs forum, the thread title is "1949 8N Won't Start."
Thanks for all your help.
Bart

IT'S ALIVE!!! I bypassed the ceramic resistor, put a full charge on the battery, and it fired right up. I let it run for about 10 minutes increasing and decreasing throttle, and it ran great. I turned it off for a couple of minutes, then restarted it and let it run for a few minutes, then shut it off again. I did that several times and it worked perfectly every time.

Thanks Soundguy for all your help, and thanks everyone else for your input.