Ford 631 stuck clutch.

/ Ford 631 stuck clutch. #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
Starting my own thread instead of continuing in another.

Dad's 631 seems to have a stuck clutch. Last summer i drove it around some, hitting brakes, trying to free it without success.

Today while visiting i used wood to block the clutch down. There is practically no resistance when pushing clutch almost to runningboard.

1123171651a.jpg

There is a rod running from the bottom of clutch assembly, under running board, to the back. What does this rod do?

1123171651.jpg

/ Ford 631 stuck clutch. #2  
Rear rod is for your left brake, nothing to do with the clutch.
Pull the starter and with a bent straw spray some BP Blaster on the backside of the flywheel. Rotate the engine with a long screwdriver and spray. with clutch blocked down spray again the next day than in a day or two give it a try. You can also access it for under the steering box but that's a little more involved. Easier to pull starter. It might be possible one of the springs is busted on the clutch or it's rusted good where a split may have to take place to repair.

Kirk

Attachments

• 100_1336Small-1.jpg
    100_1336Small-1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 257
   / Ford 631 stuck clutch.
Opps, think its a 641 since it has pto.

/ Ford 631 stuck clutch. #4  
No resistance tells me you have other problem than stuck clutch.
What you are feeling is return spring.
Something has failed in the linkage or clutch itself.
I had a clutch that would not release on an old Clark 4000 lb forklift.
I found disc was so worn that lining came loose and jammed.

/ Ford 631 stuck clutch.
I'm more confused as i look at 641 clutch pictures on the internet that are different than this one.

And there is a rod connecting to the back as shown in the 2 pictures above. I assume the single left pedal is the clutch...

Anyways, I'm no longer there to look at it, so will look again next visit.

/ Ford 631 stuck clutch.
Got it figured out, the clutch pedal is same as 8N, 9N. It pivots on left cross brake shaft that comes thru from the right side. The cross brake shaft pulls the rod for the left brake, which is the rod i mentioned.1511577826228.jpeg

/ Ford 631 stuck clutch. #7  
You are luck it is not a 9-N , they had R brake on R side, clutch and L brake on L side. You needed 3 feet to drive it properly! :)

/ Ford 631 stuck clutch.
pressing clutch pedal down should raise bolt with threads at bottom, pivoting the left rod. I did a video of this last spring, and saw very little movement on the left side.

Next time I'm there will compare it to his 9N clutch linkage, and how much it moves.

20170325_121014_OH_farm_.jpg

/ Ford 631 stuck clutch.
Bought the shop manual for the tractor, which explains a lot more...
2 versions of the clutch linkage, dad's is the early model. Pics i saw on internet were the later model.

/ Ford 631 stuck clutch. #10  
do you have the free play adjusted correctly?

if the clutch is real worn, AND has way too much free play they will hit the running board with just return spring pressure and no clutch action.

If it's adjusted correctly and no pressure.. as another poster said.. you will likely be splitting her.

Keep in mind that if you have a cherry picker that you can split the rear tin at the cowling and pull the steering box and get a looksee down in there.. can't doo much but look.. but could give you ideas before doing the last part of the split.