Ford 3000 Live PTO?

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO? #1  

strum456

Platinum Member
Tractor
Fords
So I went out in the snow tonight to haul home a Ford 3000. It is currently not running. It has an 8 speed transmission, but am not sure if it has live PTO. The clutch pedal does feel like it has 2 stages, however, the clevis on the clutch rod only has 1 hole. Would a 3000 have 2 holes in the clevis like a 860 or similar if it had live pto?

I know that I could mess around with holding in the clutch and turning the shaft etc., I am just sitting here thinking about it and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the single hole in the clevis would rule out live PTO. I must say, it does FEEL like it has 2 stages (maybe wishful thinking).

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO? #2  
Aa I just finished adjusting my clutch last weekend on my '67 2000, the manual references newer models only have a single pin Cleve's. So yes you could have a 2 stage clutch. The experts can confirm this I am sure.

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO? #3  
Post the model code from the tag under the hood or hand stamped in the clutch housing behind the starter.

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO? #4  
Ditto.. if the bellhousing and hood match, and the engine style matches them, you can probably trust it as a complete unit and see what trans it came with from the factory.

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO?
So, the good news is everything matches and it is a 3C code. In fact it is a live PTO tractor with only one hole in the clutch rod clevis.

The BAD news is that some bone head must have put water in the radiator. I just noticed tonight that the freeze plug behind the carburetor is pushed completely out. I've never been dumb enough to leave an engine sitting outside in the winter with water in it, so I have zero experience with the potential damage. Any thoughts? Am I going to have a cracked block, or is it likely that the freeze plugs would have saved it and the head?

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO? #6  
when it's warm enough for water to pour, you will need to fill it and see if it drips thru out the oil pan.

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO?
As soon as I noticed the freeze plug, I pushed it into our heated garage. I'll put a new freeze plug in and do a pressure test on it this weekend. The tractor is easily worth more in parts than what I paid for it, but I'm really hoping it's fixable. It will be a nice addition with the 8 speed and live pto.

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO?
I pulled the oil pan and refilled it with water. There's water coming out of the oil holes in the crankshaft! Please advise...

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO?
I'll start another thread, since the topic has changed from the PTO to the engine.

/ Ford 3000 Live PTO? #10  
if you have a cooling system presurizer pump, you can add some pressure.. but if you are getting water migration into the oil system.. it's not good.