8n wont stare

/ 8n wont stare #1  

Bandit2026

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8N, Kioti CK35
Starting a slow restore of my 8n not for show just a good cleanup. Was getting where it would miss a lick once in a while so I got a tractor supply tune up kit. Installed and fired right up all was good. After about 2 mos of very cold storage she would not fire. Getting fire to front mount coil top and bottom , checked and cleaned points still no fire to the plugs. Any Ideas??

/ 8n wont stare #2  
Could be a bad coil that has cracked internally causing the secondary winding (spark side) to open due to the cold. Seems you have replaced everything else, good luck.

/ 8n wont stare
Could be a bad coil that has cracked internally causing the secondary winding (spark side) to open due to the cold. Seems you have replaced everything else, good luck.

thanks That sounds like a great possibility as it got down to about 9 degrees a couple of times.

/ 8n wont stare #4  
After about 2 mos of very cold storage she would not fire. Getting fire to front mount coil top and bottom , checked and cleaned points still no fire to the plugs. Any Ideas??

Please pull one of the spark plugs and verify you are getting blue/white sparkies or invest in spark tester shown below that will also provide spark intensity.

tester.jpg

/ 8n wont stare
I've tested it with plug in and plug out grounded to block and nothing.

/ 8n wont stare #7  
Do you have a link showing where that tester can be purchased ? All I can find is the pen type that show if there is a spark, or not. I would prefer one that actually shows how strong the spark is like you posted, but cann,t find it.

Please pull one of the spark plugs and verify you are getting blue/white sparkies or invest in spark tester shown below that will also provide spark intensity.

View attachment 539349

/ 8n wont stare #8  
Auto craft tester at advance auto parts for 8.99, came up when i googled it.

/ 8n wont stare #10  
Have you changed the condenser, they used to always be included in the kits, now they aren't. A bad condenser will drive you up a wall trouble shooting ignitions.