Ford 860 Ignition Problems

/ Ford 860 Ignition Problems #1  

jvillads

Tractor
Ford 860 Cockshutt 1750 BCS 830
Hello, hoping someone can help me figure out the problem I am having with my Ford 860 6V positive ground. It was running last fall, not well but was running. I removed and rebuilt the distributor (replaced the bushing, seal, points, condenser, cap rotor and plug wires). I set the basic timing as per the manual and the tractor fired right up and idled with no issues. I started it again the next day to set the timing better, when I loosened the distributor hold down bolt, the tractor died. I tightened the hold down bolt and attempted to restart the tractor, this is where the strangeness started. When I hit the starter button with the key in the OFF position the engine spins over freely, when I hit the starter button with the key in the ON position it turns the engine over very sluggishly, like it has a low/dead battery. Doing some troubleshooting over the last few days, I have been able to make it start 3 times totally by accident but I am not able to duplicate this, when it does start it does idle fine. I have checked the coil, dist. cap and plug wires and have good spark at these locations. If I disconnect anything related to the ignition system, coil wire or plug wire, remove the dist. cap ETC. it will turn over freely with the key in the ON position but as soon as I reconnect the ignition system it barley turns over with the key in the ON position. I am at a loss, hopefully someone will be able to help. Thanks in advance.

/ Ford 860 Ignition Problems #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum. You have come to the right place to get answers.

It sounds like a timing issue. When you loosen the distributor hold down bolt the distributor will move if the bolt is loosened too much. Also check the points for too small of a gap.

/ Ford 860 Ignition Problems
Thanks for the responses, you were both right it was the timing, a small turn of the distributor and it starts right up. Thanks again.

/ Ford 860 Ignition Problems #4  
sometimes when you loosen that bolt that dizzy will slip around before you know it.